Great people to work with!

Former Employee - Project Management Intern  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
Former Employee - Project Management Intern in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Government of Alberta as an intern for less than a year

Pros

since this is a government job, work pressure and the urgency to meet deadline is low. My coworkers were all very nice and laid back, but when it's busy, they work hard.

Cons

-I'd say people generally spend at least 40% of their time doing unrelated stuff at work, sometimes, there are just not many things to do. So the sense of achievement could be low.
-Salary is not very competitive compare with industry.

Other Reviews for Government of Alberta

Great benefits, terrible managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When you make a difference, it's easy to see that difference in peoples' lives. Great benefits, good hours, generally great people to work with. Good career progression for those who want it and will play the game.

Cons

Most managers are terrible... control freaks who are more concerned about looking good rather than getting results. The politicians who control things often make stupid decisions. Budget cuts are always looming.

Hire more capable people, and more young people who aren't bitter and jaded.

Great work-life balance and office environment!

Current Employee - JSG (Former SOLGPS) Admin 2  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - JSG (Former SOLGPS) Admin 2 in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time for less than a year

Pros

I absolutely love my office! Our staff is the opposite of what Government employees are said to be. Most people here are passionate about their jobs and GOA values. We enjoy sharing opinions and learning new things to better ourselves. Our management and executives are very approachable and willing to help. The work-life balance is great! Flexible work schedules, time-off for doctor's appointments, earned time-off, work from home options are all available to us. I previously worked for a company that required 12 hour days and I was made to feel guilty when I needed to take time-off for doctor's appointment or earned vacation! Not fun! Work hard rest well is my motto!
    I guess there is a different environment in every Ministry, and every department within that Ministry, but I consider myself lucky to land a GOA job with JSG Business Services & Strategic Support!

Cons

None so far. I've heard rumors about low career advancement opportunities but I believe that where there's a will, there's a way! I've seen some bright people getting promoted within the Government, and I believe that it's just like in any other company: your promotability has a direct correlation with your productivity, knowledge & expertise, and your relationships with others(superiors and colleagues).

Keep at it, and remember that your staff is the most valuable component of your success!

There are newer employer reviews for Government of Alberta.

Worked for Government of Alberta? Contribute to the Community!