Generally positive.

Former Employee - Strategic Planner in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Strategic Planner in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Government of Canada

Pros

The GOC operates a broad range of interesting and complex programs.

Cons

It's hard to implement growth and change in a large and complex structure, so exercises in strategic planning must be performed over years, not the months I was contracted for. Management often seeks quick fixes and so fails to understand the nature of the organization. It is not nimble, but it can be effective, so long as activities are scaled to the the organization in both scope and time.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Overall, a good place for a certain type of person

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Government of Canada

Pros

-Exposure to different departments -If you like being a union person, the pension and benefits are excellent -If you like a union work environment, this is for you -Training opportunities were ample in my department

Cons

-The pay stinks! If you are in management, I think the pay is a little better, but if you are not, then it's like being an $11 an hour worker and you have to pay to be in a union (I'm fail to see how unions help people, but whatever). -If you are an enterprising, out-of-the-box thinker, then don't join the Gov't of Canada because most areas are unionized (unless you join as a manager). I found the environment too stifling for my work style, but it is good for some people. They feel secure and like the structure. I did not.

Advice to Management

Overall, my short time with the Gov't of Canada was a positive one. There is red tape, which can be and is, frustrating. My advice would be to evaluate positions and question their necessity. There is a lot of wastage (it frightened me, so I think I'd rather live in denial) and technology is not leveraged to achieve efficiencies. That said, there has to be the impetus to make the Government of Canada a place enterprising people want to work. Some of us understand the value of our tax dollars and would work toward using them in the most effective way to deliver the best service.

it was ok

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Government of Canada

Pros

it is a stable job, doing cool research

Cons

its boring sometimes, and kind of far

Advice to Management

manage better, be more efficient