There are newer employer reviews for Gracenote

Five Years Under SONY Ownership's Benign Neglect Created Complacency At Gracenote

Current Contractor - IT PMO in Emeryville, CA
Current Contractor - IT PMO in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some really talented people...many with a passion for music...

Cons

This is first and foremost a metadata management and syndication firm. After 5 years with SONY, Tribune purchased the company at a fire sale price. People here are very clique-oriented and keep to their own group. I think they're waiting for the post-merger layoffs.

Advice to Management

Encourage more collaboration between working groups. Require accountability from IT to avoid one catastrophic failure after another with the Tribune parent groups.

Other Employee Reviews for Gracenote

Don't expect a promotion but do expect a great place to start a career before moving on to something else.

I worked at Gracenote (More than 5 years)

Pros

The topic of entertainment and technology runs strong amongst the culture. If you're music or film nerd, you will be pleased to find others like you. Stable company offering solid work / life balance. Flexible hours. Health insurance. Stocked kitchen. The engineers that work here are some of the most talented that I've worked with. The hackathons are always fun.

Cons

Having worked here for a long time, I've seen the company change for the better but it falls short with opportunities for professional growth and horrible politics. Engineering practices for some of the more high profile projects are really frustrating to take part of due to lack of process and disconnect between management vision and certain engineering groups. Many times, ownership isn't effectively communicated or expectations around what priorities should be produced is lacking across many teams. There's also a huge communication divide between groups, especially content and other engineering groups. I'm not sure why it was the case but everyone in content seems really unhappy and less likely to socialize with other members of the company. To get promoted, I've only seen people who greatly sacrifice their personal life on top of going way beyond expectation to the point of alienating their peers. I've also seen people who are way very talented, capable, and possess great leadership abilities get passed up. This has promoted a culture of elitism in some groups that I haven't really seen at other companies.

Advice to Management

There are plenty of projects that are contracted out because the resources available internally are either unknown or difficult to work with because of the fear of bureaucratic process. There are resources who could meet internal needs if they knew there was an opportunity to help. Promote your workers at a reasonable pace, or they will leave. Many talented engineers that I've worked with that have left Gracenote, are now a director or higher at other companies. You guys attract good talent. Offer opportunities for professional growth. When someone shows initiative to learn new technology, ideas, encourage it.

2. Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many chances to learn through talking to everyone in a flat work environment. A lot projects going on here. People are energetic here. Always interesting to explore new stuff from difference department

Cons

It seems a lot people here work for difference projects at the same time. You cannot ask people to focus on your project only because they may have other tasks to take care of as well.