There are newer employer reviews for GrafTech International

My time there helped to destroy my excellent past reputation and pushed me out of my profession.

I worked at GrafTech International

Pros

The pay and bonuses were good and the technical staff is conscientious and a pleasure to work with.
The work is challenging and interesting.

Cons

Benefits are horrible for a company of this size.
Some members of management are not to be trusted under any circumstances.
Employees are not treated with respect by some levels of management.
Recognition and appreciation are hard to come by at some technical levels. When pictures are taken to honor groups for achievement it looks more like a roundup of the "usual suspects". Sometimes technical staff that helped to develop products are not even invited.

Upper management needs to take a closer look at the way lower level managers operate and not just give them a pass because they make good yes men.
Let employees share in the company success in a more equitable manner than bonuses that are controlled by "manager's disgression".
Change the attitude that, "If good things happen it's because of great management - If bad things happen it's the rank and file employees fault."

26 Other Employee Reviews for GrafTech International (View Most Recent)

This is a new company that just bought us out about 3 years ago.

Current Employee - Operator  in  North Seadrift, TX
    Current Employee - Operator in North Seadrift, TX

I have been working at GrafTech International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is good for the area.

Cons

They have to many individual projects that are hard to keep up.

Need more younger help.

The greatest example of corporate America greed and indifference you will find in the Cleveland area.

I worked at GrafTech International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people, great group of people to work with. Good compensation but don't depend on raises and bonus to make up for anything. Laid back office culture that treats you like an adult. 1/2 day Summer Fridays were nice too (voluntarily work the hours spread out during the week) go home 1/2 day.

Cons

Where to begin with challenges...Well working in an environment of constant fear; the fact that this is "the week" you will lose your job. Employees do not feel they have a direct impact on the bonus. The bonus system is horrible in fact (more below). Raises are inconsistent. It's definitely an "old boy's network" so you are not going to move very far if at all. Management is constantly taking on some "new theory" to practice instead of actually working on what should be worked on. They actually add to the administrative process at GrafTech! Travel policy is a joke, no business class flying on long flights, no paid lunches when you travel!

You have a new CEO and a chance to really change things not just pay lip service! Most of these other reviews are spot on, especially about looking for the new book or program that will "change it all". What is the definition of insanity? Yes, doing the same things time and time again and expecting a different outcome. You will never attract or keep your talent because you (seemingly) don't care and it shows in everything you do. The bonus program that HR can't even explain is the most inane thing I've ever seen and I've run it by others who can't believe a company uses it. Also, why even have it when it's common knowledge that after managers "evaluate" everyone you get in a room and "re-evaluate" with people that may not even know your employees work achievements. Also, giving someone 80% while another gets 120%, really? Employees do not feel that they can have an impact on attaining the bonus anyway. Also, imagine every day worrying about whether your job would be cut or not, every week wondering if this is the week-a constant environment of fear and instability. I understand business but you need to have a little more foresight and IF layoffs are necessary try and keep them to once a year...not 4 or 5 times while the rumor mill goes crazy.

There are newer employer reviews for GrafTech International

Worked for GrafTech International? Contribute to the Community!