Grand Canyon University
www.gcu.edu Phoenix, AZ 1000 to 5000 Employees

Excellent University/Company to work for

Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee)
Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat coworkers, compensation is very good for the job and has increased steadily over the past few years, absolutely excellent benefits (free tuition assistance, large amount of PTO/sick days, I literally pay about $15/paycheck for health benefits HSA/High Deductible plan, 401k matching). I love the fact that I don't take anything home with me, when I clock out I'm done! The education people are getting really will help them go to new levels in life. The vision and mission of GCU is excellent. GCU is growing rapidly in a time when its competitors are tanking. We're starting to gain a national reputation as a highly credible university while being 'For Profit' which is really excellent in my view. (Solid, affordable, private education in high-need areas; low default rates on student loans, profits for investors, and high levels of taxes paid to local, state, and federal governments while state universities are a drain on tax dollars.)

ConsEvery job will rise or fall with management. If you have a good manager, you will have a great experience and the opposite with a bad manager. The job can be very stressful at times because it is sales/customer service all rolled into one but it has great payoffs if you can really connect with the students and your co-workers. Because of the need to grow so quickly some employees are not only not in line with the Vision and Mission of the organization but are antagonistic about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster a friendly/fun environment rather than focusing only on business. Be intentional about developing employees interested in moving up and provide more training. Consistency is key - as a lower level employee we want to not only feel as though we're a valuable part of the team (we do) but we also want to feel like we have job security and potential to develop/move up.

Overall, I good experience

Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for less than a year

Pros: Overall, GCU is a good company to work for. The free tuition benefit was the primary reason that I worked… Cons: I had problems with the fact that it is difficult to move up. Also, the hard workers got paid the same as those… Advice to Senior Management: Find some way to increase salary faster based on performance… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Not a sales job, yeah right

Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee)

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good benefits, free education and great co workers Cons: Management is always secretive and no on is on the… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up on training yourselves and don't threaten your employees that they… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Grand Canyon University.

Worked for Grand Canyon University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grand Canyon University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller. All reviews posted anonymously by Grand Canyon University employees.