Grand Canyon University

There are newer employer reviews for Grand Canyon University

employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay ok for not having a degree, good benefits, school is growing so could lead to other opportunities

Cons

bad upper management, no consistency among other counselors, bad students who dont care about school and get money and leave

get new management

150 Other Employee Reviews for Grand Canyon University (View Most Recent)

Excellent University/Company to work for

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, compensation is very good for the job and has increased steadily over the past few years, absolutely excellent benefits (free tuition assistance, large amount of PTO/sick days, I literally pay about $15/paycheck for health benefits HSA/High Deductible plan, 401k matching). I love the fact that I don't take anything home with me, when I clock out I'm done! The education people are getting really will help them go to new levels in life. The vision and mission of GCU is excellent. GCU is growing rapidly in a time when its competitors are tanking. We're starting to gain a national reputation as a highly credible university while being 'For Profit' which is really excellent in my view. (Solid, affordable, private education in high-need areas; low default rates on student loans, profits for investors, and high levels of taxes paid to local, state, and federal governments while state universities are a drain on tax dollars.)

Cons

Every job will rise or fall with management. If you have a good manager, you will have a great experience and the opposite with a bad manager. The job can be very stressful at times because it is sales/customer service all rolled into one but it has great payoffs if you can really connect with the students and your co-workers. Because of the need to grow so quickly some employees are not only not in line with the Vision and Mission of the organization but are antagonistic about it.

Foster a friendly/fun environment rather than focusing only on business. Be intentional about developing employees interested in moving up and provide more training. Consistency is key - as a lower level employee we want to not only feel as though we're a valuable part of the team (we do) but we also want to feel like we have job security and potential to develop/move up.

Misleading - Dishonest - Demeaning - Miserable!!!

Current Employee - University Development Representative
    Current Employee - University Development Representative

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro is the salary - which quickly becomes a con because you realize that you are hard pressed to find an honest education job for the same money! My family needs the money and benefits - I am ready to work two jobs just to get away from GCU!

Cons

They hook you in the interview, give a bunch of fluff during a 3 week training - in Arizona - yes, three weeks away from your family...then once you are "in the field" you find out that they just want you to fill the classes - just like UoP which was one of the most unethical places I have ever worked - GCU is run by people who all used to work at UoP - including the president - and they are just as bad about shoving the numbers down your throat. In our last national web meeting, the President called the staff members, most of whom are brand new, "losers" if they didn't have decent enrollment numbers. I am MISERABLE and have only been with GCU for a couple of months! DO NOT WORK HERE IF YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT HELPING PEOPLE AND EDUCATION!!!!!

Just tell the truth in the interview. I specifically asked during my initial interview if their practices were anything like the sales mentality of University of Phoenix - the man interviewing me said no and I explained about my horrible experience with UoP. During my face to face interview, I asked about it again - again, the person interviewing me said no - that GCU was all about the students. LIE!!! Just tell the truth - you want people who are hard hitting sales people - you don't care anything about actually advising and counseling students, you only care about the shareholders and bottom line. That is fine - but tell the truth so people like me - who actually do care about the students, who actually do want to make positive a difference in a person's life- know to turn the job down when it is offered! It will save GCU the money on the cell phone , iPad, computer, printer and the thousands of dollars in travel expenses for training. The sad thing is, the programs are actually decent programs, the education offered through the university is quality education, but I HATE that I have to represent GCU knowing that you could care less about me and the students I advise on a daily basis - I cannot wait to be able to ship back all the materials and wash my hands of GCU!

There are newer employer reviews for Grand Canyon University