Grand Canyon University

www.gcu.edu

The Keystone Cops of Online Education

Online Teacher (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsA relatively sound introduction to their online platform. Not much in the way of many online trainings at other institutions, where very inexperienced "trainers" barely participate in discussions about the very basics of educational theory, having little or no experience in the classroom. The training is lacking in a few areas, but is primarily very thorough run-through of the GCU system. As far as the system goes, there are very few surprises to encounter (with the platform) once you are teaching your first class.

ConsOften laughably poor curriculum that cannot be altered by faculty in any way. The canned curriculum is questionable at Gen. Ed. (Freshmen) level, but is uniformly behind the times (by twenty or thirty years) in Sophomore to Senior level courses. I taught two separate semesters (my last two) where textbooks were not delivered to me for several weeks. No-one (not the GCU bookstore, not faculty "support," not the executives who then oversaw bookstore operations) responded to the very serious issue that I couldn't teach the course without the textbook. Generally, emails and voicemails tend to be ignored. Who was my supervisor? Academic Affairs? The Dean? Faculty Support? The Bookstore? This organization are so disorganized, I never knew who I reported to. If you need to contact HR about any issue whatsoever, don't expect a response. Many of the faculty support staff members were functionally illiterate (something I am qualified to assess), though they seemed to be trained to send one or two of around ten canned messages back to faculty members who had questions, no matter that these "answers" didn't really address the faculty members' questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWho will do Quality Control for GCU? Will it be anyone at GCU (beyond the twenty-something functional illiterates who hold diploma-mill MAEds, and who are the primary contacts available to faculty members)? Or will it be the Higher Learning Commision? If you don't get a move on to build a fair workplace with sound communication at and between all levels of GCU, you may find that Washington, D.C. gets into the game of Quality Control themselves--and pulls the plush financial aid rug out from under you. (Lobbyists can only forestall this inevitability for so long!) Faculty members who are trying to create a solid learning environment at GCU are seriously impeded by an often untenable, always mandatory, canned curriculum, and our courses are held hostage by staff members who don't respond to emails or phone messages (as at the bookstore), or who CAN'T respond appropriately to problems in our online classrooms. My year trying to work for GCU should be something to be proud of on my resume--instead, it's an embarrassment that I have had to explain as a professional misstep.

Review

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros: The university is growing and doing well financially with a… Cons: The business is biased about hiring and promoting former University… Advice to Senior Management: Take a closer look at promoting from within the organization… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Not bad place to work

Enrollment Counselor (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros: Good Salary in the area Cons: Can be high stress at times Advice to Senior Management: Brian has been a welcomed addition to GCU, he did… More
There are newer reviews on Grand Canyon University.

Worked for Grand Canyon University? Contribute to the Community!