There are newer employer reviews for Granite City

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Server in Sioux Falls, SD
Former Employee - Server in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Granite City part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The food is awesome and very fresh. Kitchen is super clean. It's a restaurant that you can take pride in your work. It's always nice to bring friends and family in as they are always impressed with the staff, food, management, and overall atmosphere.

Cons

Flexibility is usually pretty good, but sometimes schedule changes are with no notice. Sometimes I don't want just the in-house brewed beers. With there was more fun weekend brunch items, specials, or promotions!

Advice to Management

It was always nice to see corporate staff in the restaurant. They should visit more often. Never take away the Chicken Caesar Chalupa!

reviews filtered by

people are cool; job is kinda miserable

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Granite City part-time (less than a year)

Pros

the people are cool--*relatively* drama-free and fun to hang out with. training is intense and they expect a lot of their servers, which does prepare you to be an awesome server. you get a nice break during the day, if you're working a double, so you're not completely exhausted at the end of the day.

Cons

you don't make money unless you're a closer. they over-staff and rushes are extremely short. so lots of people get cut after a relatively short period of time. kinda a "take it or leave" atmosphere and that's a hard pill to swallow when you're hardly making anything. for the average server (not closer), you make about $20-$40 at lunch and $20-$60 at dinner, on average days. they have a very high turnover rate because a lot of people leave. there's a ridiculous amount of sidework to do. they don't seem to have many opportunities for promotion, so there isn't tons of incentive to do better. overall, the feeling you get when you walk in the door is "how little am i going to make today?"

2. I was very miserable here

Former Employee - Server in Lyndhurst, OH
    Former Employee - Server in Lyndhurst, OH

I worked at Granite City part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If it's busy, the pay is ok.
    The building is kind of cool and it's in a good location.
    Some of the coworkers.

Cons

Management is distant and aloof.
    Kitchen is very poorly ran, it's sometimes difficult for food to come out right.
    Cleveland just isn't responding well to this location and business is slow, which less money in our pockets.
    Corporate is too restrictive.
    Management treats you like children.

Advice to Management

We are all adults who work here, treat us like it.
    Also, get to know us a little better. Lighten up.

There are newer employer reviews for Granite City