Granite Construction

www.graniteconstruction.com
  www.graniteconstruction.com
There are newer employer reviews for Granite Construction

Hard work doesn't really pay off

Current Employee - Project Engineer
Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Granite Construction full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good work environment where almost everyone tries to help each other. You are given a lot of freedom to get your job done.

Cons

There is no work/life balance. 60+ hour weeks are not uncommon. Not enough people to handle the workloads assigned.

Need to hire people to do the jobs they are hired for and not try and make people do things they aren't qualified for because you don't want to pay the qualified person what they are worth to do the job.

75 Other Employee Reviews for Granite Construction (View Most Recent)

A very good company in its industry

I have been working at Granite Construction

Pros

Granite Construction offers competitive salary and benefits
    Granite has a strong focus on safety and the environment (sustainability)
    The company is well-respected in the construction industry

Cons

Tough economic times have taken a toll on the business (and the industry)
    Severe cuts have been made and the focus on cost cutting has not let up

Granite strives to be the best in its industry but does not like to pay what it takes to get there.

Was a great place

I have been working at Granite Construction

Pros

The pay is reasonable and is based upon industry surveys for similar jobs. You are paid within the range of others with your job title in the industry. Granite minimizes titles so you may have more responsibility than others with your same title.

Cons

Under Bill Dorey, there was a genuine concern for the well fare of the employees. Managers in general sought out the best ideas regarding a system or in times of change. Now, a few select managers decide what's best for the company and then they give you the pleasure of having them tell you how it is or how it's going to be. The senior managers ignore anything but those who tell them what they want to hear about where the company is headed.

The company culture was built upon a decentralized structure managed by entrepreneurs. Now Granite is trying to migrate to a command and control style with many functions centralized at corporate. It has been the worst of both worlds, the overhead has become both less efficient and less responsive to customer needs. A number of people have to be involved in every simple task even though no one is trusted enough to just take care of the job (even with review).

Senior managers ignore any attempt at constructive criticism. They either ignore you or they tell you you're wrong. There is no attempt to figure out a better mouse trap. You're expected to tell them how great everything is and how lucky we are to be here.

These dinosaurs are very out of touch with what's going on in the field. This is a new phenomenon at Granite. One of Bill Dorey's strengths was to seek out the best way to do things and to determine what the needs of the employees were and then try to fulfill them. Now, we have executives getting a nice $160k raise while the rest of us are still waiting to have our 401(k) match back to a reasonable level.

Most of us hope you will sell the company. We're going the wrong way.

There are newer employer reviews for Granite Construction