There are newer employer reviews for Granite

Great employer contracting to a not-so-great client.

Former Employee - Data Quality Analyst in Schenectady, NY
Former Employee - Data Quality Analyst in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Granite

Pros

Compensation is slightly above market, great benefits, exposure to some very interesting work matter. Service managers will go to bat for you and represent their labor force very well. Very safety-oriented and provides internal education for site safety and safety improvement.

Cons

While you're a Granite employee, you're a contractor to General Electric and must suffer the whims of their bureaucracy. You get all of the great stress from working on GE schedules and GE subject matter but are often left out of perks such as gatherings, achievement tchotchkes, or other types of recognition. Little to no advancement options as a contractor. Some GE people will not treat you fairly or give your work equal weighting compared to inside work.

Advice to Management

Hold clients to their contracts and responsibilities at all levels of management.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Subcontracted by many wind turbine manufacturers to perform receiving, parts inventory, installation, and commissioning

Current Employee - Commissioning Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Commissioning Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Granite

Pros

Paid hourly, travel all over, booming industry, work outside, per diem, bonuses, tooling/gas/office supplies/flights/personal vehicle mileage/etc. expensed, use brand new trucks, insight into different cultural backgrounds/meet many people from all over

Cons

100% travel, 60 to 100 hrs. per wk, extreme environments (hot and cold, wet and dry), no work/life balance

Advice to Management

none

2. Granite services is above average in a tight economy.

Current Employee - CSC Level I Support Engineer in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - CSC Level I Support Engineer in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Granite

Pros

The pay scale seems to be very good for a ground floor position. The scheduled hours allow us to take three or four days per week off, which works out well for my personal situation. The people that I work with seem to be of above average intelligence and everyone gets along well. We work in a team environment, for long hours and that is important.

Cons

The hours are difficult to work in a row, 4 days of 12 hours. Sometimes being a contractor at a GE facility means you get the short end of the stick when it comes to fair treatment by GE, but Granite does a good job of trying to make that up.

Advice to Management

Make sure that advancement is shown as a viable option, that Granite is a place to have a career, not just a job.