Gray Television
www.gray.tv Atlanta, GA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Reasonably Progressive Company at the Local Level but Some Senior HQ Suits Utterly Lack Tact

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company does a better than average job of running the 36 television stations it owns in 30 small to mid sized U.S. local markets. In an industry beset by change - both technological (e.g. the migration to HD) and economic (e.g. the global economic meltdown of 2008/2009) - Gray has coped better than most. I found local management to be dedicated, hardworking and, in a few cases, exceptional. Local staff was mostly young, eager, friendly, too. There was a sense of team spirit and there was little or no back stabbing.

ConsLarger technological and economic forces afoot in the land make employment at ANY television station an iffy proposition in this day and age. Gray is implementing Ross OverDrive across its entire station group. Inevitably, this automation technology will mean cutbacks in operations staff - particularly in News. Such staff cuts - especially if they are deep - may well bring visits to affected local stations from the suits at HQ. And with at least some of the HQ suits will come problems in the areas of attitude, behavior and respect toward local employees that will only make a bad situation worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome HQ suits need to get over themselves and realize that the real world at the local station level is where the money is made that makes their compensation packages possible. And they need to understand that the local folk who inhabit these outposts do not necessarily perceive emissaries from Corporate with the same delusions of grandeur as can tend to afflict such visitors from afar.

Hard work, good experience

Reporter (Former Employee)

I worked at Gray Television full-time for more than a year

Pros: I was a reporter at one of Gray's entry-level, small stations. Once you get benefits after the first… Cons: Low pay. Long hours. Working holidays. One-man-banding all my stories.… Advice to Senior Management: Stop updating the editing systems every year and hire some… More

Old technology, supportive News Director and Asst News Director

Production Assistant (Former Employee)
    South Bend, IN

I worked at Gray Television part-time for more than a year

Pros: Good leadership in the newsroom, ND and Asst. ND were… Cons: Notre Dame is all that mattered. Seemed like PR arm… Advice to Senior Management: Put more money into the technology, competitor was tapeless and high definition in the field while we were up converting off of tape using technology… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Gray Television.

Worked for Gray Television? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gray Television reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gray Television CEO Hilton H. Howell, Jr. All reviews posted anonymously by Gray Television employees.