It's a great place to work, if you are willing to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Knoxville, TN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Gray Television

Pros

The senior management is by far the best I've ever worked with, they actually care about their employees. From the president on down, all are very approachable. Benefits aren't bad, full medical and dental, a 401(k) plan and an employee stock purchase program. Unlike a lot of companies, this is one you can see yourself retiring with, no matter where you are in your career.

Cons

Money, or lack of it, always seems to be an issue in the company, at all divisions. Projects tend to be shot down under the premise "there just isn't enough money to do this," or "the ROI isn't high enough for us." Same applies for hiring additional staff. It's not uncommon that an employee is doing the work of two or more. This is really a company where you need to be resourceful.

Trust your employees, if we feel that you have our backs, we'll have yours.

Other Reviews for Gray Television

It varies from station to station

I worked at Gray Television

Pros

The better Gray stations have excellent work environments. Benefits are very good. Ownership seems solid. At the corporate level there is very little turnover.

Cons

The work environment is not good at several of the stations. There is high absenteeism and turnover. It has been noted that some senior and mid-level managers don't trust happier employees.

Take a strong look at long term individual station performance. It is likely that the stations with the best ratings and earnings also have the lowest turnover. Reward your superior General Managers by placing them over the poor performers.

Reasonably Progressive Company at the Local Level but Some Senior HQ Suits Utterly Lack Tact

I worked at Gray Television

Pros

The company does a better than average job of running the 36 television stations it owns in 30 small to mid sized U.S. local markets. In an industry beset by change - both technological (e.g. the migration to HD) and economic (e.g. the global economic meltdown of 2008/2009) - Gray has coped better than most. I found local management to be dedicated, hardworking and, in a few cases, exceptional. Local staff was mostly young, eager, friendly, too. There was a sense of team spirit and there was little or no back stabbing.

Cons

Larger technological and economic forces afoot in the land make employment at ANY television station an iffy proposition in this day and age. Gray is implementing Ross OverDrive across its entire station group. Inevitably, this automation technology will mean cutbacks in operations staff - particularly in News. Such staff cuts - especially if they are deep - may well bring visits to affected local stations from the suits at HQ. And with at least some of the HQ suits will come problems in the areas of attitude, behavior and respect toward local employees that will only make a bad situation worse.

Some HQ suits need to get over themselves and realize that the real world at the local station level is where the money is made that makes their compensation packages possible. And they need to understand that the local folk who inhabit these outposts do not necessarily perceive emissaries from Corporate with the same delusions of grandeur as can tend to afflict such visitors from afar.

There are newer employer reviews for Gray Television.

Worked for Gray Television? Contribute to the Community!