Graybar Electric
www.graybar.com Saint Louis, MO 5000+ Employees

Super Antiquated for a Comm. company, unequal pay for women

Comm Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

ProsGood benefits, opportunities to make extra money with bonuses, etc. There is always free food and treats around from vendors. You may get to go to a fun conference and get wasted for days in a row!

ConsThis is definitely good old boys club. Management is predominantly male, and male coworkers in same job with less experience than me had higher starting salaries. You are expected to go out and drink with clients and vendors all the time, if you don't it is frowned upon. You have to give up a lot of your own social life for this after hours stuff , yes its great to drink and eat for free but it gets old after awhile.

Mine was an open office with no cubes, you can hear everyone! I had to get under my desk at times so people could hear me over my loud blabby neighbor. Super weird phone queue system is not even a queue, the receptionists look and see who is at their desk and not on a call and they transfer to them no matter if it's not your client. Other offices constantly transfer to you and you get a horrible connection.

You have to deal with whatever client you are handed as a Sales CSR even if the client is not yours and you have no idea what they want. Oh BTW: SUPER CRANKY UNREALISTIC CLIENTS!!! "What you don't have 100 of something that has only been ordered once in the last 10 years??? You need to call the vendor and see if they can make this product for me because it is so old?? I needed it yesterday!!!"

If you are contemplating being a CSR find out about the office, their policies and the phone system. You have been forewarned.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times! Listen to constructive criticism from employees, I got sick of hearing "that's how we've been doing business for over a hundred years" Times change, you need to trust your employees and give them the proper tools to succeed (like an up to date office and phone system)

Nice people, middle management nice, a lot of dead weight,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Graybar Electric full-time for less than a year

Pros: Nice people, so many people running around easy to take off to go on other… Cons: Limited responsibility and opportunity to make decisions, Purchasing, Accounting, and Collections HQ in St. Louis is like working for for three different companies, … Advice to Senior Management: Cut the dead weight and give the people that produce more responsibility, End the contests… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A good company that will reward hard workers that are ambitious.

Financial Manager (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

I worked at Graybar Electric full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great retirement options with a defined benefit pension, profit sharing, a 401K… Cons: Still a bit of the "good old boy" mentality. Some of the goals set by upper… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to the people in the field. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Graybar Electric.

Worked for Graybar Electric? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Graybar Electric reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Graybar Electric CEO Kathleen M. Mazzarella. All reviews posted anonymously by Graybar Electric employees.