Graybar Electric

There are newer employer reviews for Graybar Electric

Super Antiquated for a Comm. company, unequal pay for women

Current Employee - Comm Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Comm Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Graybar Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, opportunities to make extra money with bonuses, etc. There is always free food and treats around from vendors. You may get to go to a fun conference and get wasted for days in a row!

Cons

This is definitely good old boys club. Management is predominantly male, and male coworkers in same job with less experience than me had higher starting salaries. You are expected to go out and drink with clients and vendors all the time, if you don't it is frowned upon. You have to give up a lot of your own social life for this after hours stuff , yes its great to drink and eat for free but it gets old after awhile.

Mine was an open office with no cubes, you can hear everyone! I had to get under my desk at times so people could hear me over my loud blabby neighbor. Super weird phone queue system is not even a queue, the receptionists look and see who is at their desk and not on a call and they transfer to them no matter if it's not your client. Other offices constantly transfer to you and you get a horrible connection.

You have to deal with whatever client you are handed as a Sales CSR even if the client is not yours and you have no idea what they want. Oh BTW: SUPER CRANKY UNREALISTIC CLIENTS!!! "What you don't have 100 of something that has only been ordered once in the last 10 years??? You need to call the vendor and see if they can make this product for me because it is so old?? I needed it yesterday!!!"

If you are contemplating being a CSR find out about the office, their policies and the phone system. You have been forewarned.

Get with the times! Listen to constructive criticism from employees, I got sick of hearing "that's how we've been doing business for over a hundred years" Times change, you need to trust your employees and give them the proper tools to succeed (like an up to date office and phone system)

100 Other Employee Reviews for Graybar Electric (View Most Recent)

Nice people, middle management nice, a lot of dead weight,

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Graybar Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, so many people running around easy to take off to go on other job interviews, SAP, good company if you want to move around the country every 3-5 years

Cons

Limited responsibility and opportunity to make decisions, Purchasing, Accounting, and Collections HQ in St. Louis is like working for for three different companies, Only way to move up within department is to relocate, Apply out of your department gets you a backroom meeting with the Director of you department wondering why you would want a different role (one hint $), granted it was entry level but very little challenge day to day, pay was so low I left before I could get moved up in St. Louis so I never saw the profit sharing plan, trainer said we were eligible for a 3% pay increase annually in first week, I found a job that pays 30% more after being with Graybar for less than a year,

Cut the dead weight and give the people that produce more responsibility, End the contests and value the employees that will put 100% into what they do without some non-monetary incentive system.

A good company that will reward hard workers that are ambitious.

Former Employee - Financial Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Financial Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Graybar Electric full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great retirement options with a defined benefit pension, profit sharing, a 401K plan, and a very nice ESOP plan that pays 10% dividends yearly.

Cons

Still a bit of the "good old boy" mentality. Some of the goals set by upper management are unatainable in certain markets. Evaluations of success are heavily metric based. Salaries are low.

Listen to the people in the field.

There are newer employer reviews for Graybar Electric