There are newer employer reviews for Graybar Electric

Graybar is a company that is stuck in a mindset of doing things the way they've always done them.

I worked at Graybar Electric full-time

Pros

Excellent total compensation package. Their retirement is second to none that I've ever worked for. A large company with a lot of good people in the field that have been with the company for many years.

Cons

The structure of the company is such that they have a very disjointed approach to the marketplace, especially where national accounts and the federal government are concerned. Thirteen districts, each with their own way of doing things and they don't take guidance from corporate. Within each district, there are between 10 and 20 branches that each has it's own reporting structure and P&L.

Streamline reporting structure from branches to corporate so that everyone is pulling on the same end of the rope. Currently, things are too fractured and corporate "initiatives" fall on deaf ears by the time they get down to the branch level.

89 Other Employee Reviews for Graybar Electric (View Most Recent)

Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, CO

I worked at Graybar Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good employee atmosphere! Semi decent vacation and PTO

Cons

Management is very rude, unwilling to train or help to progress for future. Good employee atmosphere!

If someone is willing, give them a shot. dont shut them down and hurt there hopes for bigger and better things!

Super Antiquated for a Comm. company, unequal pay for women

Current Employee - Comm Customer Service Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Comm Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Graybar Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, opportunities to make extra money with bonuses, etc. There is always free food and treats around from vendors. You may get to go to a fun conference and get wasted for days in a row!

Cons

This is definitely good old boys club. Management is predominantly male, and male coworkers in same job with less experience than me had higher starting salaries. You are expected to go out and drink with clients and vendors all the time, if you don't it is frowned upon. You have to give up a lot of your own social life for this after hours stuff , yes its great to drink and eat for free but it gets old after awhile.

Mine was an open office with no cubes, you can hear everyone! I had to get under my desk at times so people could hear me over my loud blabby neighbor. Super weird phone queue system is not even a queue, the receptionists look and see who is at their desk and not on a call and they transfer to them no matter if it's not your client. Other offices constantly transfer to you and you get a horrible connection.

You have to deal with whatever client you are handed as a Sales CSR even if the client is not yours and you have no idea what they want. Oh BTW: SUPER CRANKY UNREALISTIC CLIENTS!!! "What you don't have 100 of something that has only been ordered once in the last 10 years??? You need to call the vendor and see if they can make this product for me because it is so old?? I needed it yesterday!!!"

If you are contemplating being a CSR find out about the office, their policies and the phone system. You have been forewarned.

Get with the times! Listen to constructive criticism from employees, I got sick of hearing "that's how we've been doing business for over a hundred years" Times change, you need to trust your employees and give them the proper tools to succeed (like an up to date office and phone system)

There are newer employer reviews for Graybar Electric

Worked for Graybar Electric? Contribute to the Community!