Great Clips

Its a job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brentwood, TN

I have been working at Great Clips

Pros

It's franchised and the owners are great people to work for.

Cons

Management at some stores is less than desireable to work for.

234 Other Employee Reviews for Great Clips (View Most Recent)

A HORRIFYING introduction to the industry that made me want to tear up my license.

Former Employee - Stylist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Stylist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Great Clips

Pros

The other stylists in the shop were hard working, decent people. Hair dressers are awesome.

Cons

Lower wages than a drive in burger joint, and average tips of $3 since their price points are lower than a beauty college charges.
    Fake "promise" of training and benefits. You only get them if you work 40 hours. They will NEVER schedule you for 40. (They'll work you 39.5, though.)
    They hire people right our of college, then expect them to have clipper cutting expertise, even though school that teach proper hair cutting, don't teach clipper cutting with guards.
    New employees are left to fend for themselves on day 2.
    Attitude of management and franchisees is that hairdressers are a dime a dozen, No respect for the profession when 13-17 min haircuts (from time of check in and including consultations) are expected.
    Everyone is really getting the same haircut.
    No training at all. I was sent out to cut hair the first day, whether I knew how to do clipper cuts, or not.
    Embarrassing "redos" with verbal critique in front of the customer and staff.

Give a newbie a break. Give them a day or two of training, at least, before releasing them on to the floor. If not for the stylist, then for your customers! It reflects poorly on YOUR COMPANY when a new hair dresser fails within 3 days, because they really have NO IDEA how to cut your way. You could have more passionate stylists in your company. Clearly, you want robots who obviously don't care about their professional image, by the way they are allowed to show up looking for work,t oo. If you want "experienced stylists," then hire them, and pay them a living wage. If you hire out of beauty school, then TRAIN THEM, because schools aren't teaching "fast food" cutting. Show some compassion for the PEOPLE working for you. Praise in public, reprimand in private, to help your employees succeed. You'd get a lot more loyalty, and way less turnover if you did. It's REALLY DUMB to shut down new employees, because with a few training sessions, you could have some real assets to your company. People new to the industry are eager to learn and want to do well. Now you have LOTS of former employees bad-mouthing you and publicly warning students NOT to work for you. I gather the company motto "RELAX, you're at Great Clips" is just for the customer. It's about their time and YOUR money. The hair dressers are just "dime a dozen disposable trash."

I LOVE my job!

Current Employee - General Manager in Moline, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Moline, IL

I have been working at Great Clips

Pros

It's a walk-in salon so you don't have to have a large client base to stay busy. We service over 900 customers per week. Our franchisee compensates our pay and bonuses very well. He also offer health, dental, life insurance, and paid holidays and vacation time. Great Clips is an amazing company and they have a great focus!

Cons

If you don't like being busy then Great Clips is not the place for you. Also because of their concept of scheduling for the customer most stylists are required to work 1-2 night shifts per week. However, this is usually normal for most franchised salons.

There are newer employer reviews for Great Clips