There are newer employer reviews for Great Clips

It's not so bad, I've had worse!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Great Clips full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's busy, the commission is easy to make, schedule is flexible, there's good corporate support and advancement opportunities are available if you comply to the policies. Salons are clean and pleasant. Technology is used daily (computers, on-line check in, customer profiles etc) My franchisee is great but I can't say for all of them and the girls I work with are fantastic, we have a great time, good laughs and we all gel nicely together. If you like to cut, there is no colour and in some salons no perms either, then it's not bad at all. It's not great but this is hairstyling we're talking about and if you like a "high end" atmosphere then this isn't for you. It's a haircut factory.

Cons

Weekends (including Sundays) and nights are a must (open 7 days a week). Base salary is pretty much minimum wage although commission is easy to make and due to volume, tips are decent but you have to work your butt off and I mean WORK, there is no time for screwing around. Managers have to work even harder and are accountable for a lot more than you'd expect. The rules are strict. Cuts per hour, times between cuts with customers waiting and hair cut times are all monitored closely... Along with everything else you do all day.

I am upper management and let me tell ya, your whole life is about Great Clips.

188 Other Employee Reviews for Great Clips (View Most Recent)

st augustine, fl

I have been working at Great Clips

Pros

gift cards at christmas from the owners. easy to learn the check in system. i like that you keep notes in the comp so you know what the client usually gets especially with men and clipper guards and neckline preferences.

Cons

horrible management at this salon. there have been 4 managers within 7 months and 9 stylists have quit including all of the managers/ asst. managers. everytime a new manager would come you would have to start all over and basically the stylists end up training the new managers and then we get penalized if the previous manager forgot to document an agreement. i.e. if you were hired on and had an agreement with the original manager that you were flexible with any hours except for one day and they say ok. then they quit and the new manager comes and you tell them that, they say oh it wasnt documented so if you dont work it you are fired. everytime a schedule is posted it is changed through out the week without any notice. managers hired are usually unexperienced and under qualified. its hard working somewhere you are paid less to teach someone who is paid more how to do their job. they use paperwork as a way to try and "scare" you. every little thing is documented. they tell you if you want to leave early/switch days you need to find coverage then the "write you up" when you do so. they can schedule you 44 hours then make you take breaks so that you dont go over 40. the current manager never answers her phone and mainly communicates through text wich is clearly stated in the handbook not to do and other employees have been reprimanded for it. over all it would be a great company / owners to work for if it werent for the asinine managers and ass. managers they employe

actually listen to what your employees say about the management. they are just going to quit anyways.

Great Clips Stylist

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Great Clips part-time for less than a year

Pros

The good thing about working at my particular franchise is there are always lots of clients. It's very gender neutral and clients like not having to sit and wait long to be serviced. The stylists are friendly and approachable.

Cons

The thing I dislike the most is the emphasis on getting the clients in and out so fast. I think that we're not able to really do good consultations with our clients. We're in such a rush to get people out the door that I think Great Clips has a reputation of being a poor quality salon. That's actually not the case but when the emphasis is placed on the speed in which we work, some stylists don't take care to do good quality work. Management at my franchise is poor and childish is some ways. This would be a great place to work but for the management.

Listen to your stylists.

There are newer employer reviews for Great Clips

Worked for Great Clips? Contribute to the Community!