Great Clips

www.greatclips.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Great Clips

Receptionist isnt a bad job

Current Employee - Receptionist in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Receptionist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Great Clips part-time (less than a year)

Pros

get paid a decent salary on top of tips for little to no experience

Cons

gets boring after a while nothing to do but watch t.v. and read magazines

maybe

242 Other Employee Reviews for Great Clips (View Most Recent)

Don't make a career out of it or anything.

Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Great Clips full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None, besides the opportunity to learn. It's a good place to learn how to cut hair, and you can practice on the customers. Places like Great Clips are where beginner-botch jobs happen, before you go into the REAL salon world. Take full advantage of the customer traffic and learn as much as you can while you're there.

Cons

Zero job security. If you or your kids get sick, you might not have a job when you return. It's not an ideal career. No opportunity for advancement. You become completely disposable. You get paid a little above minimum wage, and only earn a (very small) commission. I just looked at my most recent pay stub, my YTD commission earnings are $328. It's September, so that averages out to $9/week. You're worked to the bone, and you get timed between customers.. You're not allowed to spend more than 2 minutes between customers.. (which means none of your equipment gets cleaned or disinfected between customers, which is gross) They won't back their managers up. Complaints aren't investigated, employees are just written up, end of story. I had the fewest complaints, nearly perfect attendance, and since I worked my butt off every single day, all of my numbers were above where they needed to be, and as a manager, I was expected to be PERMANENTLY on-call. If someone called in, I had to drop what I was doing and come to work ASAP. Four days ago, I told my general manager that I wanted to step down from management, and just be a stylist, my main reason being that I wanted real days off, and I couldnt handle being on-call 7 days per week.. and then yesterday I was fired. Like I said, completely disposable.

Advice to Management? That's a joke. Management doesn't understand that we as stylists are people, and not robots.. so why would they bother taking advice?

non professional environment

Current Employee - Stylist in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Stylist in Denton, TX

I have been working at Great Clips part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good for people who can sale products and are good sales person even though you studied for cutting hair.

Cons

Don't want to pay over time even though they are making you work 6 days a week. The main purpose and how good of an employe you are depends on how much products you can sell not how good your haircuts are. Lack of training employees.

Care more about the haircuts quality not about products because stylist get their license to cut hair not to be pushed to sale products all the time.

There are newer employer reviews for Great Clips