There are newer employer reviews for Great Clips

Busy, Busy and Busy.

Current Employee - Hair Stylist  in  Niles, MI
Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Niles, MI

I have been working at Great Clips full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Busy and fast paced. Tips are great. A lot of incentives.

Cons

Long hours, Having to work every weekend.

Maybe rotate weekends and holidays.

186 Other Employee Reviews for Great Clips (View Most Recent)

Would be ok for a first job

Former Employee - Front Receptionist  in  Seal Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Front Receptionist in Seal Beach, CA

I worked at Great Clips part-time for less than a year

Pros

They hired me for my first job here, so experience wasn't necessary. I was the front receptionist. I was trained well, and felt like I could handle the work. The stylists were nice to me.

Cons

The management knew what my availability was, yet they still would schedule me on days I couldn't work. Minimum wage as well, but that was expected. I worked weekends, but my nights were free since the shop closed earlier on in the evening.

Know the availability of your employees. I quit because this kept happening!

Don't make a career out of it or anything.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Great Clips full-time for more than a year

Pros

None, besides the opportunity to learn. It's a good place to learn how to cut hair, and you can practice on the customers. Places like Great Clips are where beginner-botch jobs happen, before you go into the REAL salon world. Take full advantage of the customer traffic and learn as much as you can while you're there.

Cons

Zero job security. If you or your kids get sick, you might not have a job when you return. It's not an ideal career. No opportunity for advancement. You become completely disposable. You get paid a little above minimum wage, and only earn a (very small) commission. I just looked at my most recent pay stub, my YTD commission earnings are $328. It's September, so that averages out to $9/week. You're worked to the bone, and you get timed between customers.. You're not allowed to spend more than 2 minutes between customers.. (which means none of your equipment gets cleaned or disinfected between customers, which is gross) They won't back their managers up. Complaints aren't investigated, employees are just written up, end of story. I had the fewest complaints, nearly perfect attendance, and since I worked my butt off every single day, all of my numbers were above where they needed to be, and as a manager, I was expected to be PERMANENTLY on-call. If someone called in, I had to drop what I was doing and come to work ASAP. Four days ago, I told my general manager that I wanted to step down from management, and just be a stylist, my main reason being that I wanted real days off, and I couldnt handle being on-call 7 days per week.. and then yesterday I was fired. Like I said, completely disposable.

Advice to Management? That's a joke. Management doesn't understand that we as stylists are people, and not robots.. so why would they bother taking advice?

There are newer employer reviews for Great Clips

Worked for Great Clips? Contribute to the Community!