There are newer employer reviews for Great Clips

A mediocre job at a mediocre franchise.

Current Employee - Stylist in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Stylist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Great Clips

Pros

I think the pay is pretty good for what you do. Sometimes it's better than others (tips). I love that they do strictly haircuts, that's the main reason I work there, because I love doing haircuts. I like most of the customers...talking, getting to know them, making them feel good. And I like the other stylists (most of the time).

Cons

The management is a big mess. Poor communication, disrespect for employees...treat them like children, never ask for input on how things can be better...they just ignore you, stylists are always complaining...especially about the schedule (you will never know when you have to work....hard to make plans) Too much is expected of the shop manager which makes the shop run very inefficiently. Stylists are threatened with suspension if their haircut time is too high or their non-cut time is too high...even though these numbers are not always a true reflection of what is happening in the salon.

Advice to Management

Nothing bothers me so much as just being treated like a child and being spoken to with a condescending tone. The stylists deserve respect just as well as the customers and the management. It all trickles down. I'm sure some franchises are better than others...in fact I have worked at a better franchise in the past, where management was respectful and kind to its employees...where I wasn't hounded about my haircut time, and I was praised for my customer service...it makes a huge difference. Even though I make more money now, I was happier at the other franchise.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Learn as you go, don't have too high expectations for training on computer, inventory ......

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Great Clips

Pros

Always a paycheck, no clientel, product classes.

Cons

If you don't meet your "numbers" as in hc times, product %, it effects not only you getting a monthly bonus but your fellow stylists bonus'. That isn't fair. Especially when some people work thei asses off to sell, and keep their numbers perfect. It makes it where nobody wants to try! Great clips is hurting themselves by establishing this new policy.

Advice to Management

Encourage! Encourage! Lift up! Criticism gets you no where.....and punishing everyone for one or 2 peoples lack of work ethic is not going to help. I know I encourage one of our girls to sell I practically even try to sell for her but she still doesn't try. I'm tired of doing her job! She should reap what she sows NOt ME !

2. Very friendly place to work

Current Employee - Stylist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Stylist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Great Clips

Pros

constant flow of customers, great training, friendly staff

Cons

hire more stylist then needed, gossip, pecking order

Advice to Management

need to let stylist already there more hours rather then hire more stylist and cut hours.