Great Escape Theatre
www.greatescapetheatres.com New Albany, IN 16 to 50 Employees

Horrible experience working under the most unprofessional people in the industry.

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe theatre business in general is a fun environment to work in and you do have the opportunity to reach out to and interact with a lot of people.

ConsGreat Escape gives no formal training or professional development to their managers. They put the wrong people in the wrong position simply because they have no one else to fill it. The GM position should be a position of ownership but they micromanage everything to the point where the GM is unable to actually run their building. I think this is because they have had so much experience with the wrong people in positions but if they would put the right people in and invest some time and not have a "learn as you go" philosophy it could be better. I was instructed to lie to vendors and other people (such as on an unemployment form) in order to save the company money (which of course I didn't do!). Also they would verbally berate and harass you. A good manager knows when to address something but when it is corrected you let it go and move forward. A bad manager will always come back to it and not let it go or allow the person to fix the problem. A General Manager should not have to be cursed at and screamed at on the phone by a corporate officer. Anyone interested in being a movie theatre GM - there are many companies to work at that are much more professional. Also the payroll model is impossible. Simple math explains that you are open for at a minimum 12 hours a day so 20 hours of payroll for the day with hourly manager hours included in it doesn't work no matter how slow the building is. It's simple math and you are hurting the employees that work for you by overworking them and hurting your guests by forcing them to wait longer in line. There was an email that came out while I worked there that stated to cut payroll to the point where there would be long lines and that customers would complain and that was okay. Also if someone from corporate would walk into a theatre and there was something minor like smudges on the glass an email would immediately be sent out to every location stating that if this happens in any other theatre the manager on duty and GM would both be terminated. Nice approach!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only thing I could tell the leadership is that none of you that I interacted with should be involved in any business and certainly shouldn't be in charge of people. The best thing you could do is sell your theatres off and take the money from it because none of them will be as profitable as possible or as good as they can be until you have absolutely nothing to do with them.

I absolutely loved the people I worked with, lifetime friends, but there were a couple problems...

Employee (Former Employee)
    Dacula, GA

I worked at Great Escape Theatre part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great people. Great atmosphere to work in. Cons: The company didn't seem to believe in rewarding service. Not a single person I worked with, including me, received any sort of pay raise or… Advice to Senior Management: Promote from within. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Do not know how I forced myself to work here 4 years

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Great Escape Theatre full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The employees I worked with were great! Free movies and… Cons: The higher ups do not care about their employees, or customers. All they care about is profit. There's mold everywhere employees… Advice to Senior Management: Management needs to work on customer service and treating employees well. They pay minimum wage… More
There are newer reviews on Great Escape Theatre.

Worked for Great Escape Theatre? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Great Escape Theatre reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Great Escape Theatre CEO Anne Ragains. All reviews posted anonymously by Great Escape Theatre employees.