Greater Boston Food Bank
www.gbfb.org Boston, MA 50 to 149 Employees

Its amazing they could make such a wonderful mission such a miserable experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank

ProsThe majority of staff at the GBFB are smart, hard-working and dedicated individuals who were attracted to the mission of helping to alleviate hunger in Eastern Mass.

Parking.

ConsThe work culture is oppressive and punitive. I witnessed staff being berated in front of their peers, or treated in a condescending and unprofessional manner, by senior staff. As mistakes cannot be tolerated, a culture of finger-pointing exists that rarely corrects the situation but, rather, perpetuates it. The GBFB will expect staff to give extra hours to their events but shows no willingness to provide its staff with a work-life balance.

What is most concerning and deflating to staff moral is the high rate of turnover in staff. Either the work environment is causing people to say "enough" or the GBFB is really bad at hiring. I think its the former.

The GBFB needs to ask itself "what would we do differently if we had competition?" The answer would be "a lot." Yes, it has a beautiful new building but the culture inside is miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize how talented and smart your staff is -- and not just some sound-bite in a speech at an annual event. That's pretty rings hollow. There needs to be a focus on providing a culture of creativity, ideas and input from all levels of staff, not just edicts sent down from the top. People come to the GBFB because they want to be part of their incredible mission. They leave because the mission is lost in the oppressive culture that "leadership" seems willing to let go unaddressed.

Anonymous

I have been working at Greater Boston Food Bank

Pros: Great support, positive work environment, lovely co-workers, focused and successful… Cons: Seemingly a lot of turnover because of salaries at upper-level Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Good People - Great Mission- Bad Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Greater Boston Food Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros: The people. You will never find so many kind, smart, compassionate, talented, generous and selfless people willing to apply their experience and talent to… Cons: The LEADERSHIP. Top Leaders (C-Team) are known to be Insincere. Insecure. Ineffective. Intimidating. Insulting. Incredible. The Board of Directors. … Advice to Senior Management: The leadership issues are too far gone for advice to help. They would not listen any way. the C-Team should be replaced.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Greater Boston Food Bank.

Worked for Greater Boston Food Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Greater Boston Food Bank reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Greater Boston Food Bank employees.