Green Dot

There are newer employer reviews for Green Dot

a better place

Current Employee - Techops in Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Techops in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of these reviews are so negative they are highly suspect.
Interesting projects. Good health plan & bennies. A lot more freedom to do things than at other companies. The CEO is a character. On the IT side the system now stays up more reliably & with longer stretches of uptime than at any other period in the company's history (availability measurements on file with the Federal Reserve and corroborated by Walmart IT and GE Bank)

Cons

All software engineers and IT people should be on a bonus plan not just managers. Yes that means NOC personnel too please. CEO keeps talking about change but when will change occur outside of IT. Better requirements would help. Turn back on 401k match. 2013 staff changes caused

Up until one year ago our Production and Business systems could not run for more than 24 hours straight. Could not fail over or be backed up even in the case of critical failure. IT was seen as a black box filled with passive aggressive overly emotional egoists. All technology execs had huge retention packages because they were threatening to quit every day. (Check company public financial statements from 2012 for data.) Contractors and full timers came and went through a continuous revolving door. Life in Green Dot IT was simply that good!
    System went down Sep 2012 and could not be restored for days. At a bank holding company! Auditors and federal regulators swarmed. A new team was brought in to fix the problem. Any public company would be required to do this or risk shareholder action and customer revolt.
    Yes The new team came from companies 100x the size of Green Dot and brought big company process with them. That is a plus and a minus to some. The system now runs for months on end without a single customer facing issue. Facts are key, check data on file with the Federal Reserve Board. It is public and discoverable.
     Advice to senior management is to keep the bar high. Watch out for Ex employees who pride themselves in setting up non redundant non monitored systems. Or miring their teams in an endless cycle of failed audits, continuous outages and legal threats.
     And for people considering a job here: the 2012 outages and lawsuits and federal actions and planning for staff reduction exercises pre dated ANY of the current technology leadership. It makes no chronological sense how they would be to blame. How, time machine? I avoid writing on sites like this but some of the commentary is so offbase I had to comment. Some of these make IT sound like hell here, come on. And yes I am under vp level.

78 Other Employee Reviews for Green Dot (View Most Recent)

There are ups and downs here, not all ups but not all downs, neutral

Current Employee - non-IT pm in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - non-IT pm in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Talented people, really nice facility, seen as leaders in the space, can learn much about the industry

Cons

The product managers are pretty bad, Inflated titles, untouchable old timers, some not all, finance group needs work. Meetings go on for hours at times. If CEO does not trust you he micromanages you to death.

Train the product managers. Teach them how to talk to customers and set expectations. Sometimes customers need to be managed too. Help business team learn how their products work. Management if you really read these sites: Fix the product teams. Start at the top and work down. A person having a pretty face should not be their only requirement for GM. Better input will improve the output. Please focus more on business development or finding another walmart-sized customer. Wish I could rate higher

Easy Hours

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice place, good parking, regular work hours (at least for my dept)

Cons

Changing projects and very little information. A lot of secrets / closed doors with VP’s. Work is not appreciated and no longer one IT team. My managers are most focused on the number of bugs in Jira verses trying to fixing issues with developers (much different than my last company) We are told to only work our standard 40 hours because it is developers fault for being late. It makes me feel bad that I leave and developers are still there. I once volunteered to do extra testing and my manager was very upset because our VP did not want to support the project.

My VP talks loud and we heard him talking about waiting to get paid. That him and the others which came in with the CTO all have a signed agreement which promises a HUGE amount of money if they company goes under, sold or if they get fired. So they are all waiting for this to happen..and this is why they don’t seem to care if we get stuff done or not.

Wake up…you should get someone who is not part CTO friends to talk to employees. Most my co-workers in IT feel the same way but are just too scared to say something. I am not as I found a new job. This was a good place to work before.

There are newer employer reviews for Green Dot