There are newer employer reviews for Green Dot

hopeful

Current Employee - Product  in  Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Product in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is the kind of place where- if you want it to happen you can make it happen. Easy to make friends here. High energy. Most of the negative types have left- so it does not feel heavy here anymore.

Cons

A lot LOT of changes this year. Performance-based layoffs which impacted morale- but the teams have been rebuilt and are larger in most cases so the bandwidth is there. Challenging to have one huge customer who can call the shots.

The internal vibe here - people laughing in the lunchroom, new agile teams racing around together to solve problems, seeing the CEO dressed up as a pilgrim reciting poems on thanskgiving - does not match the negative vibe expressed on this site. I know we trimmed the bottom performers on every team this year - maybe they are all here. We don't miss you guys. Stock is up over 100% since last year and revenue is up noticeably and partners have stopped griping about outages that crippled them last year- yes we are doing terribly without you.

71 Other Employee Reviews for Green Dot (View Most Recent)

"It Is Not All Bad"

Current Employee - Technology  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, hardworking people
    Open modern work environment
    Ping Pong game to relieve stress
    Flexibility whenever employees need to take care of personal business
    Shared knowledge cross-fuctionally
    Excellent med/dental benefits w/low monthly premiums....PPO is very good!
    An abundance of collaboration work areas and flat screen TVs throughout the building
    Salary is very competitive, even in comparison to larger companies

Cons

Many employees are negative in their thinking, which spreads Venom throughout the company and this makes it hard to remain positive
    New leadership terminated (not lay-offs) a lot of employees this year and now the morale is low but hopefully it will pick up
    The 401(k) matching has been suspended for almost one year now
    It is hard to please everyone
    ******My advice to employees "if you are so unhappy here, please do the employees with a good attitude a favor, and find employment elsewhere"***** we just want to work and make the best of this situation

The hardest part is behind you, so look forward to better days

Also be patient with employees because we are not idiots and we are here by choice and we want to help you achieve organizational goals

a better place

Current Employee - Techops  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Techops in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of these reviews are so negative they are highly suspect.
    Interesting projects. Good health plan & bennies. A lot more freedom to do things than at other companies. The CEO is a character. On the IT side the system now stays up more reliably & with longer stretches of uptime than at any other period in the company's history (availability measurements on file with the Federal Reserve and corroborated by Walmart IT and GE Bank)

Cons

All software engineers and IT people should be on a bonus plan not just managers. Yes that means NOC personnel too please. CEO keeps talking about change but when will change occur outside of IT. Better requirements would help. Turn back on 401k match. 2013 staff changes caused

Up until one year ago our Production and Business systems could not run for more than 24 hours straight. Could not fail over or be backed up even in the case of critical failure. IT was seen as a black box filled with passive aggressive overly emotional egoists. All technology execs had huge retention packages because they were threatening to quit every day. (Check company public financial statements from 2012 for data.) Contractors and full timers came and went through a continuous revolving door. Life in Green Dot IT was simply that good!
        System went down Sep 2012 and could not be restored for days. At a bank holding company! Auditors and federal regulators swarmed. A new team was brought in to fix the problem. Any public company would be required to do this or risk shareholder action and customer revolt.
        Yes The new team came from companies 100x the size of Green Dot and brought big company process with them. That is a plus and a minus to some. The system now runs for months on end without a single customer facing issue. Facts are key, check data on file with the Federal Reserve Board. It is public and discoverable.
         Advice to senior management is to keep the bar high. Watch out for Ex employees who pride themselves in setting up non redundant non monitored systems. Or miring their teams in an endless cycle of failed audits, continuous outages and legal threats.
         And for people considering a job here: the 2012 outages and lawsuits and federal actions and planning for staff reduction exercises pre dated ANY of the current technology leadership. It makes no chronological sense how they would be to blame. How, time machine? I avoid writing on sites like this but some of the commentary is so offbase I had to comment. Some of these make IT sound like hell here, come on. And yes I am under vp level.

There are newer employer reviews for Green Dot

Worked for Green Dot? Contribute to the Community!