There are newer employer reviews for Green Dot

This Is My Review.

Current Employee - Developer in Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Developer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good pay for software developers and Quality Assurance. Better than pay at other local companies. Yes we all talk to each other it is easy to compare. This site (pasadena) is better than monrovia site we were at, everyone is in the same building today. Feels like one company.

Cons

not sure how it is at other companies, here it feels like we have to get everything reviewed now. This leads to higher quality yet more hoops to jump through. Though it is obvious when someone does not follow process because things break like the days when I started.

Unstable code from India, this adds extra qa cycles. IT Managers debating over who gets to use Chinese teams instead, trained employees there instead of contract.

A 12 month roadmap was shown a few weeks ago in an IT division meeting. By cto and program management Vice President. I have been here 5+ years it is the first time I have seen an annual roadmap! This was a good thing and new!

Management: morale and understanding of our path would be such higher, if there was more of this.

Company wide, other VPs need to share long term plans. We feel more comfort knowing there is a plan. Rumor is: company is scared roadmaps will leak outside or competitors, so no roadmaps or plans are shared. But it was like lights went on when we were shown this. We feel there is a plan. Now members of our stack are asking about it and excited. Stack should not mean silo, make sure everyone knows the plan even for other stacks. Seeing it changed things positively. For me and a few others at least.

73 Other Employee Reviews for Green Dot (View Most Recent)

mix of people, disorganized vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- friendly office culture
    - catered food
    - flexible work hours & location
    - some smart, hard-working co-workers
    - positive attitudes

Cons

- political
    - disorganized
    - some of the leadership is in over their head, keep getting promoted even though they cant do their job
    - unclear vision (never fully explained and constantly changes)
    - teams seem imbalanced
    - some employees do not feel accountable for their work
    - lots of miscommunications between teams
    - not great for career development
    - benefits get taken away to boost stock price

Needs improvement

Current Employee - IT Pro in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - IT Pro in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free fruit. Coworkers are helpful and friendly. There are(were?) a lot of talented it people.

Cons

Employees with talent/experience have been leaving at a fast pace, and the skills and experience they had are not being replaced. The company seems to be promoting finger pointing and ass covering, rather than risk taking and innovation.

Figure out why the talented people keep leaving and stop it. We are a technology company, and its much cheaper to keep talent than it is to find it.

There are newer employer reviews for Green Dot