Grey Group

www.grey.com

Probably one of the best shops out there right now

Account Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGrey is on a new business winning STREAK! It's been winning so much new business that staffing accounts properly has been slow, and there are always tons of open positions across the agency. It's a good feeling to be working at an agency that is doing so well, and has so much momentum.

Creatively, Grey has gotten a lot better than where it used to be. I think the strength of the agency still lies in planning and strategic account leadership, but creative has risen to meet the strength of the account side. The great thing about Grey is that there is a lot of collaboration between account and creative - account people aren't just bag carriers. Account input and guidance on creative is not only acknowledged, but sought after.

I LOVE the people that work here. Having worked at 3 other agencies, I can honestly say that the people I've met at Grey are some of the smartest, most down-to-earth, hard workers I've ever met. And I've definitely made some lifelong friends in the process.

The new building is great - it's in a fantastic location catty-corner from the Flatiron building, and in the same building as Eataly. Tons of restaurants and bars around to go to for lunch or happy hour after work. There's also an amazing roof top deck that they just finished late last year. Looking forward to more events up there.

They have a pretty sweet Christmas party in the office every year, with open bars, catered food throughout the agency, and a photo booth and DJ.

Most Account people AS and up get laptops. Primarily Lenovo Thinkpads, which are great, but VP's and up get to choose Mac's if they'd like. Most AE's down get Lenovo desktops. AS's and up also get company BlackBerry's.

Most, if not all teams, have Group Assistants that help book your travel and do your expense reports, which is nice to have one less thing to worry about.

You also can pretty much order any office supplies that you need, which is nice, because I love office supplies!!!

Grey offers some basic training courses (i.e. writing skills, presentations, etc.) which can be helpful for the junior level employees.

ConsWhile the new space is great, there is ZERO privacy - as an account person, you basically sit in a completely open cube and stare at your co-workers all day long. Sometimes it's really hard to concentrate, and you literally get interrupted throughout your day by your direct reports asking you questions. It gives you less of an ability to prioritize.

As with most big agencies, you need to negotiate hard upfront, because raises are minimal at best. I haven't heard of account people at my level receiving bonuses, whereas at my previous agency, which was a lot smaller, I got bonuses and a significant raise based on performance both years I was there.

I've noticed over the past few months that a LOT of people have been leaving the agency, I'm assuming primarily for more money, but likely for a different type of experience. For an agency that's doing so well, and has so many varied accounts, Grey is still very silo'd, meaning, it's hard to rotate from one group to another (i.e. most of the P&G folks rotate/promote within that group, same with healthcare, etc.) The EVP's that manage the different groups obviously don't want to lose talent they like to another group, so it's hard for young account people to rotate easily between groups and get that varied experience, which is needed for their career development.

For some reason, the benefits are quite expensive...the employee contributions are basically double what I was paying at my old agency.

Your happiness and hours are really dependent on your team/boss. Grey is somewhat known for having a micromanaging culture. I think part of it has to do with the fact that AD's and AS's are younger here - they get promoted quickly (with a smaller raise vs. having to bring someone in from the outside), and may not have the same experience level as people at other agencies. Higher levels (SVP's, EVP's) may be more hands on then they are at other agencies.

Another major downside to Grey is figuring out how to rotate to another account, when the time has come. You basically have to interview with the other groups, as if you were interviewing for a new job. Having gone through this process, I can say first hand that you definitely DO NOT get preference over outside candidates, which is a little insane if you ask me. There could even be the possibility that you can get laid off if you work on an account that was lost, and there are other open positions at the agency, if the hiring teams don't want to hire you. I understand that nobody should be forced to hire anyone they don't want to hire, but there has to be some consideration to the fact that an employee has been working for the company, and should be given some preference.

Advice to Senior ManagementREWARD YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!!! For an agency that's doing so well, consider better raises, performance bonuses, etc. to keep your employees happy and fostering a culture of loyalty.

Spend the money that you're spending on happy hours and guest speakers on paying your employees better. I'm sure everyone would appreciate that more.

Find a way to implement a better rotation policy. There are enough accounts and brands to work on at Grey, that everyone should be able to more easily rotate between the different groups.

A decent place with poor management and a backstabbing culture

Senior Vice President, Global Account Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Grey Group

Pros: Compensation was good (before they starting laying people off) Clients in general were… Cons: Too many evil people with motives Advice to Senior Management: Get rid of the rotten eggs No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Pretty Flexible

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Grey Group

Pros: Good Hours, great time off Great People Company has come a long way in… Cons: Management No room for growth or promotion Raises inconsistent Favoritism at times HR… Advice to Senior Management: More concrete review process, consistent raises. Less favoritism More
There are newer reviews on Grey Group.

Worked for Grey Group? Contribute to the Community!