Top salesperson, lowest paid.

Former Employee - Customer Development
Former Employee - Customer Development

I worked at Grimco full-time for more than a year

Pros

A consistent schedule.
No issues with HR.
HR is actually very efficient and reliable.
Entry level job for a few college kids with no where else to go.

Cons

Commission structure is a joke. If you want to make any money on it, you have to basically kill yourself to get it.
Base pay is not up to par with current times.
Company stuck in a 1985 mindset with no room for innovation. They were scared to get a Facebook page and Twitter page originally because they were afraid of all the negative feedback they would get from their customers.
Unwilling to change in the least bit.
Management is very two-faced - As in they literally believe that they can lie to you and you will accept it regardless of facts.
The corporate culture is the "good-ole boy" mindset. Only males at the top, and they hold on to their power with a strangle hold.
They value the person that will literally make Grimco their entire life.
They will sometimes expect you to work far beyond your salaried hours with no compensation in return. (As in until 2am in some extreme cases)

Pay your workers! You are already having major staffing issues throughout the country, and more will be coming soon.

Other Reviews for Grimco

Huge company growth, big potential/opportunity for self motivated individuals

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1) Growth-company is extremely aggressive in opening new business centers, buying competitors, expanding internationally. The work environments are fun if you share the passion to be a part of that.
    2) Opportunity-with success comes as much responsibility as you are willing to take on. The company is begging for people who want to drive their own success. Some take it upon themselves to surpass goals and end up with the biggest opportunities. The most aggressive salespeople can climb ranks quickly into management positions.
    3) Flexibility-the company gives newer staff decision making capabilities very quickly. This allows new hires to get great experience early on that most companies would protect with red tape or a title.
    4) Benefits/Compensation-long term, successful, loyal employees are rewarded through compensation but just as important, a great 401k with company paid contribution annually.
    5) Work-life balance-this is a great part of Grimco. You are expected to work harder than everybody else Monday-Friday, but working 12-14 hour days and weekends is not necessary or effective at Grimco.
    6) Upper management will take any call from anybody in the company when available(and they almost always are when you call), including the owner.

Cons

No company is perfect, especially one that is expanding as rapidly. But here are some thoughts:

1) Flat structure-because the company is lean at the middle and top and doesn't create a lot of unnecessary positions in upper management, it creates less opportunity for younger employees to visualize their succession into upper management.
    2) Organization-growing exponentially year over year makes almost every decision short term. There is little long term planning and for some people, they don't like the ever-constant change and prefer stability.
    3) Some branches end up "sink or swim" with new employees due to unexpected turnover(which all companies face), and although it is great experience for a new employee to have to run a branch and drive sales, it can be overwhelming for some and lack direction and positive reinforcement. Some new employees want somebody holding their hand the whole time, Grimco isn't like that.
    4) Review process is formal but typically isn't thorough enough. Employees need to keep in contact with their manager to ensure they are fulfilling expectations to really know their status. Some employees feel they are exceling and are shocked to hear they are not.

Keep the family feel as the company continues to grow, but become more formal throughout the company. The small feel of the company will create loyal employees but there needs to be less "drama" surrounding personnel and operations.

The aggressive mind state to take market share everyday is exciting to work for. I hope the company continues to bring this thought process throughout my tenure and can motivate new employees to buy into it long term.

Overall this company genuinely cares about its employees, the customers, and is on an exciting path towards owning the industry they play in. New hires couldn't have more long term opportunities if they bring the right personality and drive.

Add as much talent as possible, and quickly! Being aggressive can limit us long term without more great employees.

CDR

Current Employee - CDR  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - CDR in Houston, TX

I have been working at Grimco full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you take care of Grimco, they will most definitely take care of you. This is my first job out of college, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in sales, or to someone who knows they want to be in a business setting, but aren't quite sure of what they want from it. You're given so many opportunities to grow the company and work from every angle of the business. There's always a new opportunity - you just have to want it. Aside from just the company as a whole, the people I get to work with everyday are amazing. It's a very positive, fun, and exciting environment.

Cons

With great power comes great responsibility. As previously mentioned, you're presented with so many amazing opportunities and clients, that it does get difficult to juggle. It has definitely taught me to prioritize. It's a constant, growing, changing company, so there's always something new to tackle. There are times that it's tough to get it all done because our sales focus changes so frequently.

n/a... Another beautiful thing about Grimco? You're able to shoot suggestions over to them anytime you want. I feel comfortable enough with my company that I've given them all the suggestions I have. There's no need to give "advice" on a reviews website... I just pick up the phone / shoot an email with my inquiry, and we have an actual conversation about it.

There are newer employer reviews for Grimco.

Worked for Grimco? Contribute to the Community!