Exciting, challenging, and unknown foray into the music industry.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Gainesville, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Grooveshark

Pros

Free lunch
Great team
Flat organizational structure
Flexible work hours

Cons

Low pay
Limited stock options
Limited experienced senior management
Limited career growth

Other Reviews for Grooveshark

Can you hear me now? Yes. Yes I can. And I do believe you are doing it right, Grooveshark.

Current Employee - OPERATIONAL  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - OPERATIONAL in New York, NY

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time for less than a year

Pros

I find working at Grooveshark to be one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had working in tech and media over the last decade. It's by far one of the most forward thinking companies I have ever worked for. The daily expertise, excellence and shared best in class technology and digital music curated - is quite reminiscent of initial days of the Internet revolution. its, the team. Period.

In my view, the average Groooveshark employee seems infectiously excited about the rise for device ubiquity, and consumer behavior. They love music and are humble about and their obvious seat at the "streaming music" table from the listeners' points of view - being a clear music fan favorite. These are two great barometers that the company’s sweet spot and moment in in the sun has arrived.

These facts, in addition to many of the other challenges the company has overcome in its near decade of existence, clearly illustrate one slid point to me. New employee or old, the place is alive with the tenacity they had from day one.

To me it seems entrepreneurial creativity is the fabric of Grooveshark DNA. Great people, culture with a team full of franchise players.With broadcast, the company finally has a proprietary technology and format, that both artists and industry are utilizing. This and a community of 30 million, means Broadcast is powering the next evolution of Grooveshark with new strategic alliances, promotional efforts to bridge artist and fans. I think Grooveshark is at the tipping point before becoming an even more recognized user experience and consumer standard.

Cons

The Company was founded in 2006, many years before device ubiquity or people even understood what streaming digital music was - in tandem, the industry and sector was still evolving. The only real con is that the company was first to market in 2006, which is strong positive in 2014. They've spent the time getting it right, In my opinion I don't see any cons.

Don’t stop, you are redefining the industry. I couldn’t think of another brand I would want to watch succeed form the inside out. Your clarity, shared data and honesty are why you have and will succeed. With a community of nearly 30 million, I believe you and your team are doing more than a lot right. Be patient as the sector evolves, you don’t have to prove a thing when your user experience is best in class.

100% Honesty.

I worked at Grooveshark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Grooveshark provides many people with the rare experience of having a very real impact on a company and the direction it will go, especially for a 20-something (which most of us are). You will be pushed at Grooveshark and learn to iterate your butt off until you can find someway to deliver a feature or request that has been talked about for ages. The experience you will earn will make you not only a rockstar at future endeavors, it will teach you a lot about the things you value (or don't) in a work environment.

Cons

While Grooveshark does offer its employees a lot of opportunity to influence the product, what occurs is a virtual and literal shouting match of people declaring why their implementation is the best. What ends up occurring is whoever shouts the loudest, or whoever is allowed to shout the loudest, wins. What results is a very disorganized company structure and an inability to innovate fast enough to deal with lawsuits and fast-growing competitors. There is a perpetual sense of unease working for the company as Grooveshark has experienced not just one, but two major company-wide lay-offs (Mind you, the company is less than 80 persons). I had a fun time at this company, but I would not recommend it to anyone. The pay is below market value, the work life balance is poor, and the egos are real. If you are talented enough to get hired at Grooveshark, you are talented enough to get hired at some place else that does a better job at developing, nurturing and caring for its employees.

Be honest with your employees and stop playing best buddies with whomever you drink with. The company is in serious danger of collapse and it is your responsibility to let people know how discussions are going. 4 years of saying "We're almost in the door" is not satisfactory. Best of luck.

There are newer employer reviews for Grooveshark.

Worked for Grooveshark? Contribute to the Community!