Grooveshark

www.grooveshark.com

100% Honesty.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking at Grooveshark provides many people with the rare experience of having a very real impact on a company and the direction it will go, especially for a 20-something (which most of us are). You will be pushed at Grooveshark and learn to iterate your butt off until you can find someway to deliver a feature or request that has been talked about for ages. The experience you will earn will make you not only a rockstar at future endeavors, it will teach you a lot about the things you value (or don't) in a work environment.

ConsWhile Grooveshark does offer its employees a lot of opportunity to influence the product, what occurs is a virtual and literal shouting match of people declaring why their implementation is the best. What ends up occurring is whoever shouts the loudest, or whoever is allowed to shout the loudest, wins. What results is a very disorganized company structure and an inability to innovate fast enough to deal with lawsuits and fast-growing competitors. There is a perpetual sense of unease working for the company as Grooveshark has experienced not just one, but two major company-wide lay-offs (Mind you, the company is less than 80 persons). I had a fun time at this company, but I would not recommend it to anyone. The pay is below market value, the work life balance is poor, and the egos are real. If you are talented enough to get hired at Grooveshark, you are talented enough to get hired at some place else that does a better job at developing, nurturing and caring for its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees and stop playing best buddies with whomever you drink with. The company is in serious danger of collapse and it is your responsibility to let people know how discussions are going. 4 years of saying "We're almost in the door" is not satisfactory. Best of luck.

Fun Environment, Disorganized Management

(Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Grooveshark full-time

Pros: The company offers a flexible schedule which means you can come in a little later and leave earlier if needed. There is complimentary… Cons: There is poor communication between departments, and between senior executives and with the staff. It also became clear the leadership had very little understanding of… Advice to Senior Management: The company needs to create more efficiency in communication channels/information flow. Also, there should be more of a focus on building a cohesive brand strategy… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Grooveshark full-time

Pros: Great work environment. Positive attitudes that make coming to work… Cons: A lot of organization to be done but that is being worked… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Grooveshark.

Worked for Grooveshark? Contribute to the Community!