There are newer employer reviews for Group Health

A company blinded by its own arrogance.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Group Health offers a comprehensive benefit package to its employees, including a generous PTO accrual rate (for exempt employees anyway). Beyond that, I struggle to find anything to list as a "pros".

Cons

Regarding my the title of this review, the organization continuously boasts that it is a "model for the nation" when it comes to the future of healthcare. Unfortunately they believe their own hype and ignore the structural and management problems deeply ingrained in the company. During my approximately five years working there, the organization skipped from one financial crisis to another. Each time they reconcile the financial issues on the backs of lower level employees (who are not the ones causing the problems). They have frozen PTO accrual, implemented hiring freezes, and conducted extensive layoffs during the past few years. The employees who survived the layoffs, and presumably the ones worth keeping, then faced having their position downgraded, including taking a pay-cut, or outsourced. So basically I busted my hump, always received exemplary performance reviews, only to be rewarded with almost zero opportunity for advancement and giving up some of my pay to cover the poor financial decisions made by inept senior management. Additionally, beyond all of that, favoritism is rampant, at least it was in my little corner of the company. People are advanced, not based on their proven capabilities, but rather how much they butt-kiss and act perky while doing it. To current and future employees, good luck!

Advice to Management

Clean house with upper management, including replacing the CEO.

reviews filtered by
  1. If your job can be outsourced, it will be.

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employee medical benefits are very good, although things are beginning to change in 2014. I was able to telecommute for 13 years which was really nice. In my position of getting paid by production, I had very good pay.

Cons

Lack of communication.
    Massive amounts of people being laid off.
    Additional duties required of some employees for the same pay.
    All jobs possible are being outsourced, and complete departments are being shut down.
    The feeling of being a number is prevalent.

Advice to Management

Be advised of this web site and see what your employees really think.

2. Great people with poor decision-making and strategic management processes.

I have been working at Group Health

Pros

Patient-centered culture with many smart well meaning people

Cons

Immature management, systems and business processes that has resulted in above-market rates and enrollment losses, which will require continued cost restructuring and layoffs. Morale is very low.

Advice to Management

Be clear about the strategy, set appropriate financial targets, restructure quickly, act decisively and handle layoffs compassionately and offer early retirements and voluntary separations packages. Also, reform outdated governance structures that inhibit clear authority and accountability.