There are newer employer reviews for Group Health

Decent place to work, with odd dynamic

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Group Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance is excellent. People are generally very nice. If you work at the headquarters, South lake Union is a vibrant area and has many places you can walk to lunch. Benefits are good, with a fairly liberal paid time off policy.

Cons

Company lacks leadership and direction. There are factions at the senior executive level that have conflicting priorities and can't reconcile them. Most of the senior leadership has spent the vast majority of their careers at Group Health, so there is a massive lack of business acumen.

Realize that your employees are not telling you everything, because they don't understand what is actually important to the business. Connect more directly with field employees and learn what is going on. Don't try to do this in "town hall" meetings as employees generally don't feel safe speaking up in these events.

reviews filtered by

Focus on People needs upgrade

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Group Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, competitive salaries and very generous paid time off.

Cons

With all the recent cuts over the last 2 years, difficult to take vacations in some areas due to too much work and not enough back-up support. However, leadership seems to be able to still take time off.

Focus on the people you have left a lot more or you'll keep losing the best and brightest. Be much more thoughtful with reductions - retain the talent! We're doing so much more work with little to no training of the new work we're taking on. Reassess the people you have left and fairly compensate them for all the new work their doing. Example: In my department alone, after 3 people were laid off, I took on their work plus my own (with extremely limited training). I just keep treading water, hoping it will get better, but it's been almost a year of this. My new boss has only asked me how I was doing once in the last 9 months since I started reporting to her. After 12 loyal, hard working years (10 of it really satisfying with great people to work with and for), the last 2 years has left me worn out and dusting off my resume'.

Brilliant and talented people but their lean model often set unrealistic expectations.

I worked at Group Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits; efficient; knowledgeable management. Changes were well thought out and delivered in an organized fashion. Good communication across the organization. High expectations.

Cons

Fear based management. Older staff bullied new staff. Raises were quite poor. Management unrealistic in expectaions of volume and quality. When volume expectations are too high it is difficult to maintain the 100% expectation of quality and vice versa. I didn't feel they cared about the quality of health care provided to our members. Due to the focus on volume (metrics) staff just wanted to rush to get the job done in order to meet the metrics.

Promote an environment where old staff are held accountable for being unkind.Too much time is taken by tracking our work which takes away time from being able to perform our job functions. Simplify that process. People are not computers or robots.

There are newer employer reviews for Group Health