There are newer employer reviews for Groupon

Intellectual satirical writers gone wild

Former Employee - Staff Writer  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Staff Writer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon

Pros

It's a young company that hires mostly young people in their 20s, so it's really easy to connect with the people around you. There's always something happening in the office almost every day, whether it's making ice cream to playing dodgeball--every day is a surprise. The editorial department has a tendency to operate on a different wavelength than the rest of the company since we're not focused on sales, so it's definitely more of a lax atmosphere. It's also different because it's certainly the smartest department in the company--all of your co-workers attended Top 30 colleges and half of them hold journalism degrees from Columbia. So, it's a funny, fun-loving group with whom you can interact on a more-intellectual level when you're through writing.

There's a Groupon gym that you can use if you want, and there are tons of child-like break-rooms located throughout our offices, so that's always cool. Managing editors are generally nice and respected, and they have a tendency to invite you out to drinks after work or parachuting off buildings (seriously--this company is a surprise). Because of the intellectual environment, there's a lot of opportunity to improve your writing and have your co-workers and bosses help you along the way. Before you get a job offer, writers have to go through Groupon Academy so you learn to write in Groupon's style and tone.

Cons

Honestly, there aren't that many downsides if you're part of the editorial staff. A lot of the stress and pressure is placed on sales. My reason for leaving was morally-motivated in that I wanted to work for a company whose initial mission involved helping local businesses promote growth within their communities. The reality of the matter is this: Groupon has grown too fast and continues to grow fast because it's too focused on attaining (but not retaining) business clients. A majority of the profits made from deals are consumed by the company instead of the local partner with which they're working, and there's no certainty or any sort of plan to help business growth once deals expire.

Stop focusing on growth and focus more on actually helping local businesses gain footholds in the market--daily deals are pointless if the sandwich shop I just discovered is forced to close its doors because their daily deal hurt more than it did benefit.

614 Other Employee Reviews for Groupon (View Most Recent)

A LIE. I was told something and experienced something completely different.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon

Pros

No dress code. Location. Adulation from people that don't know better.

Cons

Micro Management. Not treated as an adult. No home work life balance. No vacation policy which has translated into Managers not giving or 'allowing' time to be taken. No upward mobility. Compensation is not comparable for location. Management is il trained with little experience and little professionalism. Management has poor time management which results in the employees scrambling.
    If you come to work here you will be 'sold a bridge' as they say. Do not take the salary cut for the opportunity, IT IS NOT WORTH IT!

Allow employees to do manager reviews.

Best place to work to WORST in a matter of months

Current Employee - Sales  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon

Pros

-entrepreneurial environment
    -somewhat laid back work atmosphere (in this sense I do not mean the job, just that you can dress as you wish)

Cons

It is understandable how a company such as this has to make changes. It grew incredibly fast and didn't know what to do with itself. However they need to take a look and see how miserable their employees are, especially within the sales staff, and maybe readjust some of these changes. Our commission has been cut drastically and our goals are unrealistic. Groupon has become this constant "more! more! more!" monster. We no longer consult businesses but call them and tell them what features they have to run. If they don't want to do it, we move on, and yet go crawling back to that same business a few weeks later when we've exhausted the others to try and force them into a similar deal they rejected before. Groupon needs to get back to the way it was and actually be there to help a business grow not put them out of business. Being at the company for over a year and a half I've seen it become increasingly greedy. As sales reps we now have to squeeze every penny out of merchants we work with and get paid half the commission to do so.

Managers are picked upon their performance not if they have any real leadership. Mangers go through minimal training (as does the rest of the company) and for the most part have no idea what they are doing. Managers that have been around for awhile were sales reps when Groupon was new, cool, hip and people loved it. They have no idea what it's like now on the phones and often set very unrealistic goals for employees. And remember if you don't hit that unrealistic goal you aren't going to be paid and most likely put on a performance review....

There are newer employer reviews for Groupon

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!