Young Company on its Way Up

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For an individual who recently graduated college, a company such as Groupon is perfect for these types of individuals to get a grasp of the ins and outs of what a publicly traded company feels like. Although still in the infant stages compared to larger companies, in the little time of working with Groupon, I have noticed the shift in atmosphere and the reaffirmation of the "Work Hard, Play Hard" attitude amongst the employees and management.

Cons

In regards to such a young employee base, there is still a lack of progression outlined by management as to providing a career path for their incoming employees. On that note, employees within departments are constantly moving on and therefore it is hard to establish clear communication.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a clearly laid out succession plan, otherwise this type of deterrence does not keep employees with the company in terms of retention past two years. Additionally, you have a wealth of knowledge in regards to upper management, please use it in providing a continuing education to young professionals within the company who are looking for answers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Senior Executive

Current Employee - GPM in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - GPM in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Management Team and overall company vision

Cons

there is not a single thing that speaks against Groupon

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Same stuff others have said: no dress code, flexible hours and opportunity to work from home, good co-workers. * I have not experienced the kind of micro-management others commented on; my manager is helpful when needed but mostly leaves me alone.

Cons

* Editorial is kind of a dead end; they're paring down the department significantly, which just means more work for those of us who are left. The opportunity to be promoted after six months is useless since we've been in a hiring freeze almost the entire time I've worked here. * The pay is terrible. Unlimited PTO is great, but it sucks to not be able to afford to go anywhere. Seriously, management should be ashamed. * It's very, very stressful working in an environment where jobs are being eliminated or moved to other departments. * Management=people who just happened to start working here when they company was very young. I don't think many of them have experience managing staff. If they do, it doesn't show.

Advice to Management

I think Groupon prides itself on being a start-up culture where we're flexible and open to changing things that aren't working, but it's time to start making some long-term plans, and it would be helpful to communicate with the staff when big changes are in the works. Employees don't want to stick around if they don't feel like there's a future. It doesn't feel like anyone is in charge here.