Groupon
www.groupon.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

50% chance you will last a year - This is a MUST read!

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time for less than a year

ProsFirst I want to say that I really liked working at Groupon for a year and I am not disgruntled at all.

Second I will say that things at this company change monthly. I was there a year and the sales processes, commission, sales tools, basically everything changes multiple times a month. Every month there's "a better way to do things" and it's SO ANNOYING!

Groupon is a great place to work if you don't care about your career. If you want to have a strong career in sales, management or business in general it's not the place for you. It can be a good stepping stone to something bigger and better, but in no way will it be long-term. I worked there for a year because my last company was sold and it was Groupon or no job. I worked there for a year while looking for another sales position which I found and love!

First and foremost it's a sales job. The culture is great and fun, but if you don't hit your numbers they have no problem firing you. In the year I was there I was on the top of my game and made President's Club so it's not like I was struggling and am mad at the company or anything. I saw probably 15 people get fired/quit on my team over the course of just 9 months - and my team had about 30 or so people on it. The turnover is CRAZY! At the time I left so many managers who had been there since it was a start-up were quitting - seems like everyone is quitting.

People, just like me, see Groupon on the outside and think OMG! what a cool and fun place to work - kinda like Facebook or Google. Then they get hired as an Account Executive and you're basically a telemarketer cold calling business owners who want nothing to do with Groupon and trying to persuade them to feature their business on Groupon. You will call 100 businesses and maybe 10 owners will talk to you for more than 5 minutes. Of those 10 only 2-4 will even run a deal. No one wants to be on Groupon anymore and the ones who do are crappy businesses that barely even make money. I didn't mind the cold calling, but if you aren't wanting to make 70 calls a day aka telemarketing than this job isn't for you.

I also heard great things about the culture and when I was hired I was so excited to be working along side people my own age. Everyone there is so distant. It took a good 4 months before people on my team even started opening up to me. People on other teams won't even give you the time of day. It's weird, but no one there really cares about anyone else unless.

Daily deals are on its last leg. Groupon won't be around in a few years like they are now. When a new CEO comes in I can guarantee mass layoffs and pay cuts. Show me a new CEO that comes into a new role running a struggling company that loses millions of dollars every month and says, "Hi everyone! I'm your new CEO - I know this company is struggling so everyone gets raises and you can expect to keep making the same commissions for years to come!" No one.

Cons- Terrible leads for new reps
- Telemarketing businesses that hate you
- 70 calls a day to even make goal
- Account Executive potential is around $50-$65k tops for new reps. Senior reps might make more, but not for long - Not much money for Chicago.
- LONG HOURS! Depending on your market you will work like 8-6 or maybe 9-7
- Constant change

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit changing the commission structure and stop the constant change.

Total disaster

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time for more than a year

Pros: Groupon has attracted some incredibly smart and driven people into one place. As such, it's a great place to pick up new skills and network. Not… Cons: When I came to Groupon, I was looking for a culture that encouraged people to get things done and solve problems while minimizing political nonsense… Advice to Senior Management: Fire yourselves. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Use to be great pre- IPO

Outside Sales Representative Groupon (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Groupon part-time for more than a year

Pros: fun start up with loads of money to be made Cons: was great before the bubble burst Advice to Senior Management: find new ways to leverage the company to achieve more No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Groupon.

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!

Groupon – Why Work for Us?

Who We are, How We Work We provide a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Groupon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Groupon CEO Eric Lefkofsky . All reviews posted anonymously by Groupon employees.