Groupon

www.groupon.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Groupon

50% chance you will last a year - This is a MUST read!

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (less than a year)

Pros

First I want to say that I really liked working at Groupon for a year and I am not disgruntled at all.

Second I will say that things at this company change monthly. I was there a year and the sales processes, commission, sales tools, basically everything changes multiple times a month. Every month there's "a better way to do things" and it's SO ANNOYING!

Groupon is a great place to work if you don't care about your career. If you want to have a strong career in sales, management or business in general it's not the place for you. It can be a good stepping stone to something bigger and better, but in no way will it be long-term. I worked there for a year because my last company was sold and it was Groupon or no job. I worked there for a year while looking for another sales position which I found and love!

First and foremost it's a sales job. The culture is great and fun, but if you don't hit your numbers they have no problem firing you. In the year I was there I was on the top of my game and made President's Club so it's not like I was struggling and am mad at the company or anything. I saw probably 15 people get fired/quit on my team over the course of just 9 months - and my team had about 30 or so people on it. The turnover is CRAZY! At the time I left so many managers who had been there since it was a start-up were quitting - seems like everyone is quitting.

People, just like me, see Groupon on the outside and think OMG! what a cool and fun place to work - kinda like Facebook or Google. Then they get hired as an Account Executive and you're basically a telemarketer cold calling business owners who want nothing to do with Groupon and trying to persuade them to feature their business on Groupon. You will call 100 businesses and maybe 10 owners will talk to you for more than 5 minutes. Of those 10 only 2-4 will even run a deal. No one wants to be on Groupon anymore and the ones who do are crappy businesses that barely even make money. I didn't mind the cold calling, but if you aren't wanting to make 70 calls a day aka telemarketing than this job isn't for you.

I also heard great things about the culture and when I was hired I was so excited to be working along side people my own age. Everyone there is so distant. It took a good 4 months before people on my team even started opening up to me. People on other teams won't even give you the time of day. It's weird, but no one there really cares about anyone else unless.

Daily deals are on its last leg. Groupon won't be around in a few years like they are now. When a new CEO comes in I can guarantee mass layoffs and pay cuts. Show me a new CEO that comes into a new role running a struggling company that loses millions of dollars every month and says, "Hi everyone! I'm your new CEO - I know this company is struggling so everyone gets raises and you can expect to keep making the same commissions for years to come!" No one.

Cons

- Terrible leads for new reps
- Telemarketing businesses that hate you
- 70 calls a day to even make goal
- Account Executive potential is around $50-$65k tops for new reps. Senior reps might make more, but not for long - Not much money for Chicago.
- LONG HOURS! Depending on your market you will work like 8-6 or maybe 9-7
- Constant change

Quit changing the commission structure and stop the constant change.

758 Other Employee Reviews for Groupon (View Most Recent)

2010 Intern in European Office

Former Intern - Business Analyst
    Former Intern - Business Analyst

I worked at Groupon as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Passionate, driven management in European region. Team growing like crazy; boundless opportunities. Real start-up feel. Diverse, driven team. Interesting projects.

Cons

Certain weeks had crazy long hours. Pay wasn't best, but pretty good for an internship. Didn't have silicon valley feel. Constant tension with many vendors; difficult to balance Groupon's interests with those of small vendors selling through website.

Good Place If You Can Look Past the Growth Issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work atmosphere
    Lots of young people to work alongside
    Gym in the building
    Work near other startups

Cons

No career pathing, coaching, feedback, or management reviews
    All raises are based on consecutive bell curves - you're lucky if you get a COLA raise
    Senior leadership does not listen to their reports on almost all levels
    Leadership looks out for revenue, not profit

Get rid of your bad leadership on all levels, start promoting from within, and give people something to work hard to achieve. There are great, dedicated people on your teams - listen to them.

There are newer employer reviews for Groupon