There are newer employer reviews for Groupon

The Grass really is green here!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I'd like to start by saying that I already had about 6 years of sales experience between two different companies prior to starting at Groupon. I hear a lot of complaints about how the culture and pay has changed over the years at Groupon. With that said, most of these complaints seem to come from people that are relatively inexperienced in the working world. Others who have seen different working environments tend to appreciate what we have here at Groupon. Anytime I feel like complaining about my situation, I think back to my younger years in other sales environments and honestly feel lucky. Sure the money can be inconsistent but that's sales and honestly you get out of it what you put in. On that subject, I hear others saying that the environment is unstable but this is a start up and that's how start ups behave. I feel fortunate that I work at a company that actually changes when they see things taking a wrong turn. I also feel like I have a ton of opportunity to better myself as a salesperson here. We are constantly invited to trainings that can help us fine tune our skills and hone in on new ones.

Cons

The only con that I see here is the lack of opportunity to move up in your career. There are a lot of very intelligent and driven people working here and it's tough to compete with that. However, my managers and even senior management is always willing to listen and help you come up with a strategy to move forward in the right direction.

The only advice I have to management is to continue to try and develop talent from within. A lot of us love working here and would really like to make a career out of it, however at times it seems hard to do so.

reviews filtered by

It's a fun job, but not ideal if you're concerned about advancing your career or salary.

Former Employee - Deal Qualifier in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Deal Qualifier in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and no dress code- not just the title of it, people really don't care. Managers are chill, understanding, and opposite of Big Brother- they trust you to do your own thing.

Cons

A lot of smart people with strong resumes and advanced degrees all making very mediocre entry level pay. No clear career path. Instead you're told "you can go anywhere" but it doesn't really feel that way.

Create opportunities for advancement so your best employees feel like they can stick around.

RUN

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free parking. Wear what you want to work. Free pop. Yep....that's it.

Cons

Commission structure changes almost quarterly, if not more. Inexperienced managers leading teams. It's a madhouse. The company is super focused on becoming a Best Place to Work again which to them means having free beer and street festivals for employees. Might want to try actual good work environment tactics. You're treated like a number. You as a person don't mean a darn thing to your manager or to the company.

Find your star employees and grow them. Go to bat for them. Find better management. You have very very few quality managers throughout the building. Get quality employees and stop hiring for cheap. Shake the god complex. Groupon is not saving local commerce and helping the small guys always. You're forcing them to discount because their friend next door does. Businesses should use legit marketing practices to grow not just discounting with a brand that more times then not will drive down their review scores online.

There are newer employer reviews for Groupon