Groupon
www.groupon.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Good first job, but disorganized and you'll outgrow it fast

Engineering (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible time-off and somewhat flexible work schedules. Casual dress so no need to buy new clothes (you won't be able to afford it anyway). Very friendly environment and a good place to make friends. Transferring between departments is flexible.

ConsAlmost no opportunities for advancement. Low pay compared to the the exact same job at other companies in Chicago. (But it's "hip" or something) Very disorganized in every way, especially related to HR. No one keeps track of titles or positions. You may come to work and find you suddenly have a different boss or a different job, and no one told you. You might not have a boss at all. You may take on more responsibilities gradually until you are doing very advanced work, but you'll never be promoted or recognized.
No clear dicision making hierarchy. Anyone from the top to the bottom of the company can boss you around and you may have no power to push back if it's a bad idea. You're given contradictory instructions and someone is always yelling at you.

Advice to Senior ManagementGroupon needs more defined roles with clear paths to advancement, and a well-defined hierarchy of decision-makers to resolve conflicts between departments.

Good company to work with

I have been working at Groupon full-time for less than a year

Pros: Flexible vacation time and work from home schedule. New on… Cons: Expanding too fast so management is a chaos. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great co-workers, opportunities in management.

Customer Support Representative (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time for more than a year

Pros: The people they hire are amazing. It's a young population which means… Cons: Management needs help to re-evaluate business mission. The "higher ups" change priorities too… Advice to Senior Management: Remember why Groupon was created. Treat your customers and employees… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Groupon.

Worked for Groupon? Contribute to the Community!

Groupon – Why Work for Us?

Who We are, How We Work We provide a global marketplace where people can buy just about anything, anywhere, anytime. We’re enabling real-time commerce across an expanding range of categories including local businesses… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Groupon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Groupon CEO Eric Lefkofsky . All reviews posted anonymously by Groupon employees.