Groupon

There are newer employer reviews for Groupon

Wrong Questions

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Groupon was a great company to work for, would recommend to anyone looking for a job.

Cons

If you're a frontend candidate, you'll want to brush up on CS stuff, because they don't know how to interview a UI candidate very well.

Better scope of questions for Front-end Candidates.

717 Other Employee Reviews for Groupon (View Most Recent)

Fun environment, dedicated co-workers, lack of management direction, management looks out for themselves

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Young workforce, dedicated teammates, relaxed work environment, lots of opportunities for professional growth (but not career).

Cons

Management looks out for themselves for the most part, no 401(k) match, lack of upward mobility, lack of clear directions. COO constantly changes his mind, Company acts first and thinks later.

Learn from past mistakes, treat your employees with respect, limit your change of directions.

Fun, meet a lot of smart people - can be frustrating at times though

Current Employee - Inventory Management Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Inventory Management Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoy going to work everyday. I've never dreaded the workweek. That's a huge plus. There is room for advancement if you work for it - most people are in a sales role and they just assume that there is no career growth but I have seen plenty of people work hard and move on. The company is still very young and has a lot of room for growth so there is opportunities to make your ideas come to life. I personally enjoy seeing all the moving parts working around me as there are not many companies in Chicago that grew so big so fast - and now we are in that period of adjustment to make all our investments, tools, and acquisitions merge into one big machine. While frustrating at times, I think in the long run it will good experience for many people to use later on in life when they take on larger job responsibility or even start their own companies.

Cons

Management is super frustrating. I really like the long term vision of the company that the CEO has, but sales management is so short term focused and I think it really affects the morale of the sales force at times. Things change all the time here....they change bonus and commission plans all of the time because I guess they just can't seem to get it right. I wish sales management would be more active in the day to day stuff that the sales reps go through. It seems that they just look at numbers all day and say "do this, do that", when they really need to realize that every single merchant we are working with has a different personality and different needs and desires. Managers are in meetings all day doing god knows what. Please be more involved with your teams and your salesforce - it will really pay off immensely!

Like I said above - sales management - DSMs, RSDs, RVPs, and even the head of sales - please be more active on the sales floor with the reps who are doing the dirty work - using data is great in some cases but this is a marketing and advertising company and you need to let us trust our gut and instinct more rather than rely solely on fuzzy algorithms to tell us what to do. The systems that we are putting in place seem all nice and pretty from a birds eye view but when you really are on the ground floor seeing the "computers doing the work", you will get a much better understanding of how flawed and raw the systems are right now. Also - stop hiring good sales reps into manager roles. Being good at sales does not automatically make you a good manager. Be more diligent in the hiring process (novel idea - maybe someone who is not a sales rep can step in and be a DSM?).

There are newer employer reviews for Groupon