Wrong Questions

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Groupon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Groupon was a great company to work for, would recommend to anyone looking for a job.

Cons

If you're a frontend candidate, you'll want to brush up on CS stuff, because they don't know how to interview a UI candidate very well.

Advice to Management

Better scope of questions for Front-end Candidates.

reviews filtered by

Working at Groupn has been a mixed bag.

Current Employee - Breadcrumb Support in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Breadcrumb Support in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had the chance to work with some amazing people in a fast paced and casual environment. I enjoy not having to wear a shirt and tie to work and also enjoy working in an open area with like minded professionals. Everyone here is extremely friendly and it is a welcoming environment overall.

Cons

The department I have been moved to is extremely stressful to the point that has negatively impacted my health and personal relationships. I was saddled with a difficult supervisor and we are extremely understaffed. Our clientele is very demanding and almost all of our calls are long/end up with the agent being yelled at for things that are beyond their control. Each time I have tried to apply elsewhere within the company, I have been blocked by management, not due to my ability but due to the fact that they do not want to lose me as an employee. I used to love working here but now my days are a nightmare.

Advice to Management

Please hire more people and go back to Groupon's unofficial motto of not hiring 'brilliant a**holes'. Ever since the company has gone public, I feel that the culture has taken a steep downhill turn. Please hire more adequately in the future.

2. Lots of fun - great people, dynamic environment

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner

I have been working at Groupon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands down - my peers were my favorite part of my job. I had never worked in a totally open environment before and was apprehensive about it, but having such amazing people around me all day really made for a fun day. I also was assigned to a few internal groups that I really enjoyed supporting that were led by people that were really invested in doing right by their people. I've worked in HR for about 13 years, and this was one of those opportunities that HR people dream of - there were support structures in place - centers of excellence to lean on - but the company was so malleable that you can really influence change and make your stamp on the organization. HR is also given a lot of autonomy, which is great.

Cons

There are a lot of inexperienced folks here, so sometimes you have to help people learn how to be professional. Attrition is very high, but it's a product of the population (mostly sales and customer service employees). There was very little direction given which is both a plus and a minus. It means a lot of autonomy, but sometimes you need direction.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on establishing protocol and continue to keep the culture fun, but don't let one compromise the other.