Groupon

www.groupon.com
  www.groupon.com
There are newer employer reviews for Groupon

Great for kids. Frustrating for grownups.

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Staff Writer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Groupon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone you meet, from customer-service rep to recruiter to sales team member to creative, is going to be great. Funny, warm, cool--a potential friend or creative collaborator in an extracurricular project. The offices are decent, and the cafeteria/catering is very good. People do care about language here, and that good writing still means something at a huge e-commerce company is a wonderful thing.

Cons

Senior management is experienced and knowledgeable. Middle management--which was almost nonexistent when I worked there, and was a chaotic role at best--is generally very young people freshly promoted from the sheep pen. Promotions and selections for the plum assignments were usually popularity-based and overwhelmingly favored young improv-comedian-type men. During my tenure, I saw numerous extraordinarily talented writers leave because they were simply exhausted by the quota system and by the accurate impression that no one cared what they thought about the work they were doing. At the time, the strictures for the "Groupon Voice" were far more limiting, and I hear there's more room for creative expression and individuality now. That is very good news.

Solicit more feedback from junior employees--and implement their best ideas, from organizational structure to benefits to daily quotas. Reward and acknowledge more people than just the popular superstars. Hire middle managers who've actually managed before and are as willing to learn on the job and be mentored as their junior staffers. Give real bonuses to creatives who've earned them. Encourage more social integration and friendly collaboration/communication among unnecessarily divided departments.

676 Other Employee Reviews for Groupon (View Most Recent)

Good company to work at

Former Employee - Doge Catcher in Chicago Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Doge Catcher in Chicago Heights, IL

I worked at Groupon part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Groupon is a fun place to work at. They offer competitive benefits and pay. Would recommend this company to a friend.

Cons

I don't have any cons to list so...
    -Lost doge
    -such trubble
    -so scare
    -wow
    -much reward

Great starter job

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Groupon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, no dress code, unlimited PTO, decent money

Cons

Management has no experience. Micromanage. No real advancement opportunities. No respect for sales people.

Treat your sales personnel better. They are the only people that keep the company afloat.

There are newer employer reviews for Groupon