There are newer employer reviews for Grubb & Ellis

I learned a lot and worked with great people, but there is little or no growth with dwindling compensation.

Current Employee - Senior Investor Services Representative in Santa Ana, CA
Current Employee - Senior Investor Services Representative in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Grubb & Ellis

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Health benefits get worse each year, never received a raise as increases have been frozen since 2008, more responsibilities and promotions given with no compensation for either, layoffs have been regular 2009-2011 so very little job security.

I know it's difficult to manage in today's economic environment, especially in the commercial real estate industry, but it is disheartening when senior management makes sure they make as much as they can and take away the basic needs of their employees such as health coverage and no compensation for added responsibilites or promotions when cost of living rises every year. This lowers the image of the company itself and senior management as individuals.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great place to learn and start a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Grubb & Ellis

Pros

Great benefits package compared to other companies. It is easy to accrue vacation days. Fairly flexible when it comes to needing time off.

Cons

There seemed to be a disconnect between upper management and staff. When I first started there was a good vibe within the office but as time went on the changed

Focus on the happiness of employees and offer more encouragement and praise for the successes of those in the work place.

They will burn you out and kick you to the side after they got their use out of you and then move on to the next victim.

Current Employee - Facilities in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Facilities in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Grubb & Ellis

Pros

It's a job and they offer medical and dental.

The workers on your level are extremely helpful and overall work well as a team. All are extremely competent and educated.

Cons

I have NEVER worked in a job where I felt so belittled by managements comments towards me and so unappreciated for my hard work.

They cut 401K's but then employees receive multiple emails every week about how wonderful the company is doing.

Managers do not give about the lower employees apart from working them to the bone and then having employee meetings on how they still aren't doing enough even though this is one of the most hard working group of people I have ever seen at any job (after the facilities has taken over roles from multiple other departments increasing the work load by 4x).

Employees are made to feel completely unappreciated and inadequate. If you go above and beyond they won't whisper a word of praise, but then when you ask about the raise or promotion you were promised if you did all the work, they're only response is, "If you don't like it, find another job."

They claim that you will only have an additional responsibility for a short period of time until they hire someone for the position, but then decide you do the job good enough and fire two more people and give you their work also. They then start complaining that you're too busy to focus on "customer service" and need to be focusing on that. I'm sorry but when I have the workload of three people that you fired and multiple deadlines from departments you told to give me their tasks also, there is a point where you are completely maxed out. Then again they don't care, bc once again the manager will tell you, "If you don't like it, get a new job."

There is absolutely no possibility of advancing through management. There are multiple highly capable employees with many years of service and they choose to DEMOTE them claiming their position has been cut or claim they can just go find a new job, and then hire a new employee for a similar position instead of hire internally or giving the previous employee the new position.

There is a huge turn around bc all the good employees leave ASAP after seeing how horrible they are treated.

There is a complete disconnect from upper to lower management, and absolutely no productive way to discuss issues with them since they will only turn things around and make you feel even more disgruntled.

The Facilities Manager should NOT assume my workload and capabilities just because they were sneaking around and decided to observe me working for 15 minutes around the holidays when the majority of employees are on break and the office is quiet. If you want to make a real judgement, please sit there for a full week that is not during a major winter break.

If you want good customer service, show the employees some appreciation (when in fact the customer service level at the site is superb but senior management still acts as though we're high school kids ignoring customers and spending the whole day on Facebook).

Realize the fact that when you say you want a steak and are willing to pay $5, you will not get a filet mignon. And if you then start yelling at the waiter and belittling him you will most likely not get a steak at all.

Stop with all the sneaking around and having everything be so secretive in the workplace. It only causes more problems than being upfront with the employees on what is going on.

Stop having all these employee meetings on "Customer Service" where all management focuses on is how horrible all the employees are bc one person made a complaint even though one hundred praised us for the work we do.

Employees thrive from positive reinforcement, not from being beat down bc itt has only further lowered the morale.

If you really want decent customer service stop making the employees feel disposable bc the real change starts with a positive and supportive management team which is not anything close to what we have for our current outgoing and competent team of staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Grubb & Ellis