Guardian Life

There are newer employer reviews for Guardian Life

Stability and opportunity in IT

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Guardian Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The firm has been around for a while. It's not a publicly-traded firm so your fortunes and future as an employee don't necessarily move with the market. My director in IT security services and governance was smart, knowledgeable, demanding and fair. The work was interesting and challenging, sometimes mundane. Compensation was ok.

Cons

The pay and bonuses aren't the most competitive. You can go over a couple blocks to Wall St. and earn much more. The tradeoff is that you'll be working in a far less collegial environment. Management beyond the director level aren't the most technically smart, which is ok. They should be more focused on leadership and not get mixed in with the technology too much, but they often dive into technical water that's far too deep for them to swim and end up creating a mess for the staff level folks who are "doing the work."

188 Other Employee Reviews for Guardian Life (View Most Recent)

Senior Retirement Benefits Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Guardian Life full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good location. Good people. Good benefits.

Cons

Always had to watch your back. One manager drove me to therapy. Her replacement got me fired to give his friend my job.

Try to hold on to your job. Turnover has been unbelievable in the last couple of years. Stop hiring back retirees as Consultants. That's why people are hesitant to show co-workers how to do their jobs.

Poor Company Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Guardian Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, OK pay. Stable company. Good for expierence, not for long term

Cons

Required to work long hours for insurance company pay. Better off working at Wall St, and make 50% to 100% more. A lot of senior management only cares about your career and not yours

Promote better work life balance and do it from the top down. Management below the senior leadership needs to change. Promote a better work/life culture. Offer better pay.

There are newer employer reviews for Guardian Life