Guardian Management

www.guardianmanagementllc.com

Vultures, pure and simple.

Property Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGuardian is a good place to work as a resume builder, and it's relatively easy to move up in the company because most of their employees are relatively incompetent.

ConsThis company runs a number of low/median income properties, and conveniently pay their employees so little that they barely qualify for the minimum income to live at many of these places. They don't offer free rent or even a significant rental discount, they just are willing to take rent out of your paycheck before tax - but only if you live on-site. That means that even if you live in a different property managed by the same company and sometimes work at that property, if your primary position is in another building, you receive no discount whatsoever.

This company is focused on squeezing fees out of residents; they don't care about turnover or actually letting anyone enjoy their homes, they would rather charge someone as many fees as possible and have them leave in a fury than retain a happy customer, even when it doesn't make financial sense. Very short-sighted. I resigned after new laws were passed to protect tenants in Oregon, and the company held a meeting where employees cheered as people came up with new ways to sneak in fees to charge the tenants.

You won't get healthcare in most positions, they will keep you just under the number of hours required to get it. If your managers aren't concerned with helping you move in the company, you are invisible to everyone, so your problems or ambitions will go unnoticed. On multiple occasions, long-standing employees of the company were passed over for transfers and promotions they had been promised in order to hire the friends or family members of portfolio managers and corporate staff in those positions instead (often despite their utter lack of experience). I can say quite honestly that Guardian is the most poorly run company for which I have worked. I witnessed numerous violations of fair housing that I wish I had reported (I would have lost my job, I'm sure), and I frequently saw managers overcharge for cleaning and painting fees upon move-outs. Once, a prior tenant was charged for a full painting that had never even occurred. Compliance is haphazard, and the organization utilized a screening organization owned by a family member of the company's president. I would truly recommend that you not work for this company unless you have solid evidence that they have moved to more ethical business practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the nepotism, make it easier for employees to access training. Include assistants and leasing agents in training meetings, make business practices more transparent.

A rollercoaster of ups and downs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

I worked at Guardian Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Co-workers, with a few exceptions, genuinely cared about the residents and their customer… Cons: With reference to the above, we unfortunately had high turnover. And, this was embraced by management as a given. We were jacks of all… Advice to Senior Management: Our customer service always took a hit because training was on the job and in a chaotic environment. Very few people came into the leasing… More

Amateurish.

Leasing Agent, Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

I have been working at Guardian Management

Pros: I worked at several different properties over several years. At the community level, managers and other employees are usually very friendly and understanding-- like… Cons: They do a pretty good job in the field of property management where the bar is relatively low compared to other industries. But as… Advice to Senior Management: None. It is a private family business and management is not going to change, even as they claim to be "changing" or "cleaning house".… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Guardian Management.

Worked for Guardian Management? Contribute to the Community!