Guardsmark

www.guardsmark.com
  www.guardsmark.com
There are newer employer reviews for Guardsmark

Upper Managment doesnt always see and match abilities when assigning job duties

Former Employee - Management
Former Employee - Management

I worked at Guardsmark

Pros

had a great boss, good salary and flexible hours. I really loved working for Guardsmark for almost 20 years, until last August

Cons

Within the last 1- 1/2 years , we were asigned a new regional Manager who almost immediately began shaking up some of the branches. He ordered several staff re-assignments where several of the new re-assignments did not match the skill sets of the office personnel. Dont fix what isn't broken! I eventually got disgusted and retired earlier this year. Also please get a better medical insurance carrier, the one they have doesnt pay for anything, considers cataract surgery elective surgery.

Don't fix what isn't broken

150 Other Employee Reviews for Guardsmark (View Most Recent)

Not the best place to work for

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time

Pros

Direct Deposit,
    Friendly employees,
    Move up quickly

Currently being a site supervisor, I was promoted after only 4 months on the job and only 3 visits to this particular site. Though I was recommended by name by the facility manager to replace the retiring supervisor.. I've seen both sides of the spectrum.

HR will not own up to any mistake they've made even when the evidence is given to them. Case in point, I sent in payroll for an employee that was substituting our regular Saturday officer. They paid the regular officer for the 6 hours she'd never worked and disregarded the employee whose name was actually on the payroll form. After contacting HR, they told the unpaid employee that it was my fault that the supervisor (me) sent in the wrong name. After providing not only the employee AS WELL as HR the original copy, and adding a note that the facility manager receives copies as the payroll is faxed so they would know that it wasn't "just made up", they told my substitute employee to go ask the regular employee for the 6 hours of pay.. Not only is that illegal, it's also disrespectful. They then blamed it on computer malfunction. They have yet to this day( 5 months later) apologized to anyone for their mistake. The employee ended up getting their pay reimbursed as expected.

I have not had any problem receiving my vacation pay as I've read other reviews have.

The monthly training is a joke. It shouldn't even be called training. They give you the answer sheets with every answer written for you so all you need to do is rewrite it in your handwriting.

The paperwork given with your paystub copies, I don't even bother reading. Not worth my time. Waste of paper.

I've had employees submit "suggestions" to HR.. nothing was ever acknowledged..

Only received a $0.71 raise to be promoted to supervisor but only took the position because I was already doing everything a supervisor does at my previous site so the only thing I needed to learn was the building.

They offer absolutely no maternity leave pay. I've yet to tell them about my expecting.

Never used the medical insurance so can't comment on that.

Overall, just a shady place to work for. I'm trying to get into American Security where they at least offer raises, incentives, promotions, etc.

Cons

No pay raises during the year
    No one cares about any

Take blame if you know you did it.
    Give incentives, raises, SOMETHING!!
    Act like you at least care about your employees and maybe there wouldn't be such high turn around.

Guardsmark LLC is not the "best and professional" company in the business !

I have been working at Guardsmark

Pros

It's a job. You like it or not but it is a job. $10-$12 /hr.

Friendly Co-workers

Free Uniforms ( a lot of them were worn by other people, before you.)

Cons

Believe me! You don't want to work for Guardsmark. (Unless you are really desperate)

Hiring Process: The process is long and you are required to complete 40 pages application, pass background check, polygraph test, answered 500 totally useless questions, get six references from your neighbors (including addresses and phone numbers), bring HS. diploma with transcript and then......Yes, you will get a job for $10/hr. (nice!)

Benefits: The package with benefits offered to all full time employees by Guardsmark can be described in one simple word: GARBAGE. With that "medical insurance" you cannot do too much. For most of your medical services, you need to pay on your own.

Tuition Assistance: You might hear some promises from hiring manager about getting money for school offered by Guardsmark. Well, you need to take classes related to the business (security, criminal justice) if you have a different major, just forget about it. The tuition assistance for school is up to $1000 per school year. ( it is a joke not a help for working students)

Monthly training sheet : this is hilarious! Each month, all officers are required to complete training regarding safety rules, existing hazards, procedures etc. However , this is not hands on training! They give you a reading material and your job is to read and rewrite the same info on the provided form. They also ask you to lie, that you have completed a few hours of training on your form but in reality you finish this "training" in 15 minutes. But the goal is to make the bosses happy. (right?)

Vacation: After one year, all full time employees are eligible to receive 1 week paid vacation. The problem is that with Guardsmark, you can't even pick your own dates for vacation. They have some excuses like: "oh you can't take your vacation now, because........ thousands of reasons appear"

Paycheck / Salary raise : With Guardsmark, you receive paper check (sure, why not! who needs direct deposit in 2012?) every two weeks. In addition to that, you also receive a Guardsmark's newspaper which is LOADED with more and more Propaganda describing the company as the best in the business, very professional etc. ( of course, the reality is quite different)
    Forget about raises with this Company! After one year , you can expect a raise of few cents. (That's it!)

there are more interesting things to say about "the best company" in the business, but I think that the info you just read above is good enough to avoid working for them.

I think that giving any advises to Management is totally useless. Nothing will change anyway. I can only wish you to keep doing a great job because you know....."careers, opportunities, prestige, and many, many more promises" are waiting for you while working for Guardsmark. Good Luck!

There are newer employer reviews for Guardsmark