There are newer employer reviews for Guardsmark

OUCH!

Current Employee - Security Guard in Kennebunk, ME
Current Employee - Security Guard in Kennebunk, ME

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great job if your going to school....

Cons

If you want to be treated GREAT in the beginning - to only be told and see your co-workers systematically treated like less of a person - this is the job for you.

People have been demoted based off of no reasons, you will never get a raise, but the employers are nice.

Try to invest in your employees and start taking notice of what is happening to your clients. Neglect will only get you a bad reputation.

133 Other Employee Reviews for Guardsmark (View Most Recent)

Mind your manners, do what is asked, go by the book. You're not a rebel, you're a guard.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you do your job professionally you will be well taken care of and managers will be willing to work with you. I have heard several people complain about management not doing anything for them, and I've noticed that these are the same people who I see spending as much (or more) time trying to find new corners to cut as they do actually performing their job. Excessive laziness is not tolerated by any good company. And of course there is direct deposit and free decent medical after working full time for a while (2 months? 3 months?). Dental and family extension benefits are extra for Security Guards.

Cons

It's true what they say about losing contracts to low bidders. We were losing several contracts at one time, which meant picking up "here and there" jobs and working part time for a while, but if you show initiative and show them that you really want the job (like I did), they will be much more likely to place you in an open position before someone else. That being said, your employment experience can vary quite a bit depending on where you're positioned and what the client expects. Computer skills and amiability were a big plus for some of the locations I've been trained at, while others (like convention jobs) just want someone to stare at a door or watch an empty room.

Improve the hiring and review process so we stop getting shady guards that freak out and/or disappoint the clients. Account Managers seem way overworked, so... do something about that, maybe? Also, those training packets and newsletters are a pretty ridiculous waste of paper. Just provide employees with an e-mail account and website access and use that for the training (or at least give the option). Join the rest of us from the year 2000.

Into the rabit hole

Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Remote Management in not imediately available

Cons

Local Management is immediately available

Support your staff