There are newer employer reviews for Guardsmark

STAY AWAY

Current Employee - Security Officer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Security Officer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No pros,horrible pay, horrible management, constant turn over, benefit *uck

Cons

horrible, horrible, how they manage to stay in business is beyond me

close up shop, this company is a JOKE

139 Other Employee Reviews for Guardsmark (View Most Recent)

Horrible employer

Current Employee - Security Officer in Lebanon, OH
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Lebanon, OH

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job is too easy, doesn't take much training.

Cons

no raises, hard to advance, management is unprofessional and don't care about employees. Pay and benefits are horrible. I was deployed to Afghanistan with the National Guard while employed and company failed to hold my slot when I returned.

Care about employees and offer room for advancement and raises.

Wrong place to work. Survival job at it's best ...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well, the good things are that it is employment, if you get full time hours, you get basic benefits and free uniforms.

Cons

The president of the company states that he doesn't want employees/supervisors from other security firms because he doesn't want them to bring their dirty habits with them to damage this companies reputation, yet, I know of one instance where this actually occurred. We recently took over a site and retained nine guards from the previous security form including the site manager and several shift supervisors.

GuardSmark also hires anyone that walks through the door and hasn't had any major incidents in their criminal background. I was sexually harassed from day one at my first site and staff at the second site attempted playground intimidation tactics (refer to previous paragraph, carryovers from other security firms).

Some site managers truly lack management skills, including lack of scheduling skills. The scheduling issue/problems are shared though. GuardSmark has a tendency to get new accounts before they have adequate staffing so there's, at times, tons of overtime. The problem at the site with scheduling is when managers make changes, they often 'forget' to tell those affected by the changes. Thinly, guess who gets in trouble for 'no call-no show'? Well, let's just say it's not management.

On the subject of spending, account managers become infuriated when an expense unexpectedly rises in cost one month by or thirty dollars, but, they have no problems with enormous amounts of overtime even though they have part time staff hungry for hours and benefits. Some employees have been here ten or more years and have had their hours reduced to the point where they can no longer qualify for health benefits, while new hires work double shifts, twelve hour shifts or several weeks in a row without time off. Oh, and did I tell you there's no pay raises? If there are, they are rare, so I don't think that's an issue regarding who gets overtime. Pay is determined by what site you work at and what the client pays in regards to the contract with GuardSmark.

Also, as I was in the office with the hiring manager/human resources person, a phone call came in. Apparently, a new hire was returning a phone call. I heard the hiring managers side of the conversation regarding the caller failing the lie detector test in regards to drug use within the previous year. I guess GuardSmark had a no drug use for one year previous to employment policy. It also sounded like the caller had used some hardcore substance (as opposed to pot), as the hiring manager asked if the caller if they were still using, what they had used and went on to say those substances can really do same serious damage to the heart and liver. The caller seemed to have convinced the hiring manager that the drug use was more than a year previous, by a nose hair and, subsequently got the job with GuardSmark.

I know I'm forgetting something right now, but, that's all I have at this point. If I remember more, I'll make another post.

See the above, take notes.

There are newer employer reviews for Guardsmark