Guardsmark

www.guardsmark.com
There are newer employer reviews for Guardsmark

Learned in the first week of employment that management does have the capacity to lead or give correct information.

Current Employee - Unarmed Security Guard
Current Employee - Unarmed Security Guard

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay and job opportunites with the client company, if you have the required skills and qualifications.

Cons

Management.
I was lied to from the first day of the stupidly long application process. I was told there was one opening when in actuality I am the first hired in a wave of new guards to replace the current crew. The current contract ends and the new one begins March 1. I am the first armed guard to be hired but there are no others hired as of yet. If a fully armed crew is not hired in the next 2 weeks we will lose the contract. Our HR manager has been taking his time finding new people because he thought the new contract started in June. Why would the person who is in charge of the hiring process not have the correct information?
Uniforms.
The current unarmed security guard uniforms are outdated. The suit and tie security look does not look professional. The uniforms are cheaply made and the pants are itchy. Yes they are free but you have to have the pants altered and you might not get your size. My 1 pair of pants fit but only 1 of 3 shirts is my size. Also, if steel toe boots are required at your client site that comes out of your pocket.
Uniform appearance is lacking. I'm former active duty Navy and current Army reserve. I iron my cheap uniform and polish my boots but I appear to be the only one. The uniform regulations are barely enforced and facial hair regulations are not enforced. Even if the uniforms are cheap and outdated the appearance is still important but no body cares except me. No one wears the tie and I don't even think anyone was issued the blazer.
Paperwork.
Guardsmark wants everything hand written. Nothing can be printed out or e-mailed. The company wastes way too much paper. I'm not a tree hugging hippy but this company makes me feel bad for the trees. Every guard must fill out their daily report by hand every day. Monthly training must be done by hand every month. It's all read and answer the questions. I don't think there is any actual training. With your paycheck comes the newsletter and a day to day planner/calender with more training. Your envelope will be heavy with useless crap and your paycheck. Every week you must hand write out your time sheet in a somewhat confusing way even though your supervisor, who already has all that information including changes, has to fill out a weekly time sheet for everyone. All requests for an updated system get shot down and apparently if you press to hard you get fired.
Benefits.
 They have some benefits, but, they are expensive. If you have a higher paying position you might be alright but the lower paid employees usually go with their own medical and dental plans. If you have a family it's even more expensive. I think you can get free life insurance but you have to have been employed for a specified amount of time and work 40 hours a week. 39 hours or less and you lose the life insurance.

Get facts straight. Don't lie and if you don't know say so. Pulling answers out of you butts makes you look incompetent and untrustworthy. Make the effort to ensure the guards who work for you have proper fitting uniforms and are wearing them according to regulations. You were hired to do a job so do it correctly. Most of these reviews I have read say management is horrible.

153 Other Employee Reviews for Guardsmark (View Most Recent)

Great

Current Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My site is a great site with guarantied hours, and I work with people that help me out for further job opportunities.

Cons

Nothing particularly negative, just wish there was a better benefit package.

There should be a better raise system in place.

Wyorst in the Security Industry

Current Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at Guardsmark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Have not seen one yet

Cons

Basically the people do not have regards to floor employees. Security officers are treated like garbage. Company style of document compilation is so outdated. This company is not technology friendly. It prides itself as the finest security company within the security industry but on a more serious note it is the worst. Some of its management leaders are nothing but dictators.

Be real and get rid of those dictators you have as managers.Flash them out and bring creative thinkers on board. Scrap slave drivers so as to pave way for motivators who can challenge employees to add more value

There are newer employer reviews for Guardsmark