There are newer employer reviews for Guerrero Howe

Great potential, but unrealistic goals

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Guerrero Howe full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Friendly staff & management. I learned a lot during training and had fun and the various company events.

Cons

The company sets goals that require you to cold call non-stop. The training is very informative but expect to do the same thing day in and day out with very little return.

Advice to Management

Slow down the turnover. I saw way to many people go in my short time there, some of which genuinely would have succeeded with more time and opportunity given to them. Its discouraging to hear employees talk about people coming in and out and not wanting to get to know the new people because they will be gone soon.

Other Employee Reviews for Guerrero Howe

1. I've grown up here

Current Employee - Director of Strategic Partnerships in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Strategic Partnerships in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guerrero Howe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working for GH when I was 23 years old & brand new to the city. This was my first job out of college & I couldn't have asked for a better way to enter the "real world". The environment was exciting; the employees were young & fun. The owners were involved & very present in the everyday buzz of the office. They still are. While being trained the fundamentals of the sales position, I was also learning skills that I will continue to use throughout my career & in everyday life. Fast forward 7 years, I am 30 now and still with Guerrero Howe. I'm proud to have been a part of this company since the early days at 28 E. Jackson. I’ve witnessed the company and the publications improve & grow year after year. I have been given numerous opportunities to progress in my role at GH throughout this time. If you are a hard worker with a positive attitude you will be given the same. The best is yet to come! Pros: • Smaller company that allows for each person to have a voice and make an impact • Management opportunities & room for growth • Attainable performance based incentives • Not a corporate environment • Fun company culture, lots of celebrations throughout the year • Generous amount of PTO • Dog friendly • New office • Parking available

Cons

Cons: • A sales role can be both exciting & challenging at times. If you have a low month you can’t let it affect your confidence. Always remember to refocus and get back to the basics. • Not a ton of food options around the office

Advice to Management

Summer hours!

2. A great experience so far, looking forward to what the future at GH brings!

Current Employee - PR Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - PR Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guerrero Howe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I figured today was a good day to write an honest review about working at Guerrero Howe, given that it marks my three year anniversary with this company. Having hit my three year mark today creates the opportunity for reflection in how far I've come with this organization. I believe that should speak to the opportunities that can exist if you are a team player, are willing to learn, take constructive criticism from your superiors, yet have a capable and creative mind for thinking outside the box and willingness to work hard. My experience may not be the norm for all Account Managers but it's certainly one to show how hard work can pay off in the long run. I was an AM for roughly a year and then was promoted to Manager of our AM department, followed by 9 months later being promoted to PR Director of GH/Marketing Coordinator. This trajectory (in my opinion) came primarily for my ability to take on projects that were not part of my job responsibilities but that I was passionate in learning about not only for my own professional development but for the company's growth and development as well. It took longer hours, working from home after hours at time, but if you put in the work - it is worth it. What I love most about working for GH is in fact its small business operations. Having the ability to work for a company which isn't operating like a corporation or a fully established organization yet is a PRO (with of course its cons because of the same fact). Previous to coming to GH, I worked in a corporate environment and learned firsthand that your thoughts and ideas have to go through a very long chain of command before they're ever even considered, let alone implemented. Working for a small company allows you to be an instrument in leading the organization in the direction that you want it to because your voice is heard. If you are lucky enough to develop a strong relationship with the owners [which I strongly recommend doing - both respect a confident go getter who isn't afraid to speak to them, so I encourage everyone who starts out at GH to introduce themselves right away instead of shying away], you are able to potentially impact decision making to strengthen the brands and magazine which you work for (if they are good ideas, of course). My last piece of advice to really strive in this company is: take ownership of your work, think long-term and not just day-to-day or there's really no fun or fulfillment in that professionally. Challenge yourself and take on projects you don't want to because at the end of the day, it'll develop a new skillset within yourself that can be valuable to your future.

Cons

Of course, there are a few cons to GH of course like any organization. If you work within the AM/Sales department there is sales pressure that I imagine is likely very similar to other sales environments you'll experience but is definitely a tough thing to handle if you aren't someone who enjoys a sales environment, etc.