Guerrero Howe

www.guerrerohowe.com
  www.guerrerohowe.com
There are newer employer reviews for Guerrero Howe

Great potential, but unrealistic goals

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Guerrero Howe full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment. Friendly staff & management. I learned a lot during training and had fun and the various company events.

Cons

The company sets goals that require you to cold call non-stop. The training is very informative but expect to do the same thing day in and day out with very little return.

Slow down the turnover. I saw way to many people go in my short time there, some of which genuinely would have succeeded with more time and opportunity given to them. Its discouraging to hear employees talk about people coming in and out and not wanting to get to know the new people because they will be gone soon.

38 Other Employee Reviews for Guerrero Howe (View Most Recent)

Unethical, horrid mgmt, shady owner. Positive revs are submitted by 5 ppl who receive special treatment- not the avg emp

I have been working at Guerrero Howe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-If your sales are in the top 15% consistently, you can make ok money
    -Nice co-workers in a fairly young environment
    -Good benefits

Cons

Where to start?
    -Horrible space to work in and terrible location- they could no longer afford the loop, so they moved into an uncompleted loft space. Try making calls with 50 people and open bench seating without any sound barrier- it's awful.
    -Way too much turnover: they only retain 10% of their employees for 12 months or more
    -Management is useless and full of inflated egos
    -Competition can be a great motivator, but this company allows people to steal leads, cheat one another and breeds dishonesty
    -Lack of business experience throughout management
    -Lack of honesty about the company and its products
    -You are forced to lie to clients- the company states that their products have at least 50,000 readers/subscriptions, but they only print about 2,000 copies and have zero website presence. Management will tell you to either make up numbers or give you false numbers to make sales
    -The revolving door is a result of the way people are treated, and it starts at the top. If you treat your people like they are replaceable, they will never have confidence in their position or work, and they'll seek new employment.
    -Management never seems to be able to stick to a single idea- they're always throwing out new plans to see what sticks- and since the problems run deep, new strategies aren't gonna make a dent. The entire attitude of the company needs to change before they can stop hemorrhaging staff and money.
    -Inconsistent policies: depending on how well-liked you are by the owner and/or management, policy may not apply to you. If you're disliked, you won't last long and you will be set up to fail

-GET A REAL CEO: hire someone with experience running a business to teach leaders how to lead well- stop letting egos dictate business decisions and let ppl run their teams
    -Put actual leaders in positions of leadership- stop promoting sycophants and wet blankets, and actually strategize with people that have ideas and opinions.
    -Listen to the smart people around you and stop micromanaging- you don't need to constantly prove that you're the boss
    -Stop demanding respect and actually earn it
    -Create positions for top employees so that people actually want to stay at the company
    -Get a better office space- the current one is cheap looking, barely finished and makes the company seem like it's failing. Plus, if you want a successful business, have a space that reflects that
    -Treat your people like human beings, not like disposable cash machines
    -Create management evals- allow your employees to evaluate their managers. Management would be held to some standard and might actually care about the health of their team rather than their own revenue, and employees would have a forum to provide feedback.
    -Remember that human capital is your top resource- it matters more than sales.
    -Provide honest information to your clients

I've grown up here

Current Employee - Director of Strategic Partnerships in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Strategic Partnerships in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Guerrero Howe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started working for GH when I was 23 years old & brand new to the city. This was my first job out of college & I couldn't have asked for a better way to enter the "real world". The environment was exciting; the employees were young & fun. The owners were involved & very present in the everyday buzz of the office. They still are. While being trained the fundamentals of the sales position, I was also learning skills that I will continue to use throughout my career & in everyday life.

Fast forward 7 years, I am 30 now and still with Guerrero Howe. I'm proud to have been a part of this company since the early days at 28 E. Jackson. I’ve witnessed the company and the publications improve & grow year after year. I have been given numerous opportunities to progress in my role at GH throughout this time. If you are a hard worker with a positive attitude you will be given the same. The best is yet to come!

Pros:
    • Smaller company that allows for each person to have a voice and make an impact
    • Management opportunities & room for growth
    • Attainable performance based incentives
    • Not a corporate environment
    • Fun company culture, lots of celebrations throughout the year
    • Generous amount of PTO
    • Dog friendly
    • New office
    • Parking available

Cons

Cons:
    • A sales role can be both exciting & challenging at times. If you have a low month you can’t let it affect your confidence. Always remember to refocus and get back to the basics.
    • Not a ton of food options around the office

Summer hours!