Only if you enjoy pain - and arrogance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Guidance Software

Pros

The facilities are pleasant and well tended. There is always enough free coffee to float a small flotilla. Pay isn't too bad at all.

Cons

Guidance software is a purely development driven company. Core development alone decides what will or will not be included in a product release. All other development efforts must lobby core for access to even remedial core functionality, often at risk to continued employ.

Leadership is poor at best, attrocious is the norm. Morale continues to drop with no signs of improvement. The attrition rate is over 40% and consists of mostly great contributers who have either crossed a select inner core of the development leadership or have simply burned out from not being allowed to succedd, having credit for their good work taken by their managers or simply being ignored or marginalized.

In the time I was employed, I did not receive a single formal performance review. While many did receive at least annual reviews, the content was said to be generic with no real value to the employee as a tool for improvement.

The rumor mill is extremely active with high levels of inuendo and rumor spoken of other buisness units throughout the company. There is a very distinct "us and them" atmosphere that almost seems to be fostered and encouraged.

Stock prices have steadily declined since going public and should be considered a key indicator when assessing the Company's mid to long term place in the forensic and e-discovery space.

Generally, leadership has little confidence in the competence of "non-developers" which contributes to a somewhat hostile working environment.

If you are content to simply do what you're told and get a paycheck twice a month, this may be a good fit for you. If you are looking for positive professional growth, opportunity to excel and be innovative, then I suggest you seek employ elsewhere.

Leadership needs to realize that Guidance Software isn't a start-up any more. Quit thinking like a start-up.

Examine what your target market needs from you, that solves their current and evolving problems, that they are willing to pay for, and create it! Your competitors, in deference to what I've heard many of you state, are passing you by.

Do not hold the supreme arrogance that you know what your customers want. They know what they need. If you deliver, they will pay premium dollars for it.

Don't ride on the laurals of EnCase. It's great and all, but "what have you done for me lately?"