There are newer employer reviews for Guidance Software

Worst days of my professional career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Pros

-Working at the forefront of digital forensics and that's it. -Employees are generally friendly and helpful.

Cons

-There is absolutely NO training provided and false promises of helping employees advance in their careers, by middle management, run rampant. -QA managers are more like project managers rather than people managers. -Micro management is the name of the game. -Morale is very low and there are no signs of improvement. -Goals are assigned that will help management advance and look better and not help the employees at all. -Employees tend to avoid management as much as they can. -Meetings are stretched and very unproductive. -Most of the times work is assigned and instructions are given on completing the assignment so no brain power is needed. -The company revolves around R&D and other departments are secondary. -R&D is keen on using its proprietary scripting language and any other technology is dismissed even if it will help the company deliver better products. -Trust issues between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Hire middle management that is good in managing people. The founders of the company should step aside and let real business people run the company. I agree with the previous posters that people should be promoted to management depending on their leadership ability and not how well they know the software. The employees are not committed to their managers or the goals of the company, they are complying with them. Bring in consultants that will tell management what is wrong with the company and its structure and how they can take advantage of the low-hanging fruit to implement changes and see immediate results.

Jun 4, 2015

Thank you for your review, posted on March 10, 2011. We are sorry to hear about your experience. At the time you posted this review, our company looked very different. A lot has changed since then ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Guidance Software

Do Not Work In The Customer Service Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Pros

The pay is okay and Pasadena is a great location to work.

Cons

Too much of a dictatorship from management in that department and you will never be able to advance unless the management deems you worthy of it, which is rare. It is also a high-stress department and management loves to micro-manage.

Advice to Management

You need to do some serious work on your people skills.

Jun 4, 2015

Thank you for your review, posted on March 2, 2011. We are sorry to hear about your experience. At the time you posted this review, our company looked very different. But today is a new day here ... More

Only if you enjoy pain - and arrogance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Pros

The facilities are pleasant and well tended. There is always enough free coffee to float a small flotilla. Pay isn't too bad at all.

Cons

Guidance software is a purely development driven company. Core development alone decides what will or will not be included in a product release. All other development efforts must lobby core for access to even remedial core functionality, often at risk to continued employ. Leadership is poor at best, attrocious is the norm. Morale continues to drop with no signs of improvement. The attrition rate is over 40% and consists of mostly great contributers who have either crossed a select inner core of the development leadership or have simply burned out from not being allowed to succedd, having credit for their good work taken by their managers or simply being ignored or marginalized. In the time I was employed, I did not receive a single formal performance review. While many did receive at least annual reviews, the content was said to be generic with no real value to the employee as a tool for improvement. The rumor mill is extremely active with high levels of inuendo and rumor spoken of other buisness units throughout the company. There is a very distinct "us and them" atmosphere that almost seems to be fostered and encouraged. Stock prices have steadily declined since going public and should be considered a key indicator when assessing the Company's mid to long term place in the forensic and e-discovery space. Generally, leadership has little confidence in the competence of "non-developers" which contributes to a somewhat hostile working environment. If you are content to simply do what you're told and get a paycheck twice a month, this may be a good fit for you. If you are looking for positive professional growth, opportunity to excel and be innovative, then I suggest you seek employ elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to realize that Guidance Software isn't a start-up any more. Quit thinking like a start-up. Examine what your target market needs from you, that solves their current and evolving problems, that they are willing to pay for, and create it! Your competitors, in deference to what I've heard many of you state, are passing you by. Do not hold the supreme arrogance that you know what your customers want. They know what they need. If you deliver, they will pay premium dollars for it. Don't ride on the laurals of EnCase. It's great and all, but "what have you done for me lately?"

Jun 4, 2015

Thank you for your very detailed review, posted on July 22, 2010. We are sorry to hear about your experience. At the time you posted this review, our company looked very different. But today is a new ... More