Guidewire

www.guidewire.com
There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

One of the best development organizations in the valley, but I can no longer recommend it for non-devs.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

I'm a long term software engineer at Guidewire, and have never worked at any place with nearly this many brilliant people, and even more importantly, with this few jerks and egotists. Great culture, incredible test environment, HUGE flexibility with workstyle and time off, REALISTIC deadlines -- no deathmarches at release time.

Also, in terms of the company, they take the customer focus and "integrity" of the company values very seriously. They rarely overpromise, and they will do what it takes to make things right when something goes wrong.

Cons

Development: The ONLY negative thing I can say about the development organization itself after years here is that insurance is an inherently dull subject, although technical management has done a good job of trying to keep the focus on quality and process and being interesting -- there's a good division of work so that you can focus on what parts work for you, and you don't get say, sucked into financials or the minutia of insurance if you're not so inclined.

Company as a whole:
* benefits are so-so by Silicon valley standards. Not bad, but nothing special, and they have improved over the years.
* compensation increases for longer-tenure employees are terrible both inside and outside dev. New dev employee compensation is at the low end of market, so this doesn't effect new hires until they've been here for a while.
* outside of development, there has been a lot of growth, and things feel a very great deal more political and "corporate" than when I started. I wouldn't say "don't come work here" to someone outside of dev, but whereas this is still a genuinely special place in dev, outside of dev, it's just a pretty good company among many.

328 Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire (View Most Recent)

Continuous challenge, entertainment and opportunity, its a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

Guidewire has challenged me to grow and develop both professionally and personally. The people are incredibly smart and innovative and knowledge sharing is a common practice. They continue to remain competitive with salaries and have developed the incentive plans as well.

Cons

Still a small company, missing some of the perks of a larger organization.

Respect, challenge, fun: that's the summary of Guidewire

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Guidewire

Pros

First and foremost, we put out great products. Our products run businesses, and our Claims systems are critical in helping people in times of crisis. And we have a great time doing it! Decisions about how we develop software, who does what, and our schedules are mostly driven from the lowest level possible. This is the most egalitarian place I've ever worked, where everyone's opinions matter and senior managers don't make "because I said so" decisions. We have fun with each other, people are expected to do their jobs, and nobody looks over their shoulder to check up on them.

Cons

Because decision-making is bottom up, we spend a lot of time in emails and meetings doing communication, aligning different teams and direction. It's also a bit chaotic, and you have to get used to a bit uncertainty at all times.

Figure out better ways to get new people to understand the chaos, to shorten the learning curve when you're first starting out with the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire