Guidewire

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

Awesome internship

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice culture, friendly and helpful co-workers, and great benefits. I passed the interview with Google and I was waiting for Google to reply to me about their decision for the Summer internship. However, Guidewire offered me first with a comparable benefits and they had limited time to answer them so I decided to go with them. It was the best decision in my life. I was mentored by 2 experienced engineers who taught us a lot about Software Development process. The manager would meet me every week to ask about what I felt about the company, teach me about management and chit chat with me about anything. They also have awesome internship program where we could meet and have lunch with the CEO, Product Manager, Test Manager, etc. to hear about their experience. They also have free snacks and bagels every Mon, Wed and Fri which made me gain a lot of weights. Overall, I highly recommend Guidewire.

Cons

None of my friends know about Guidewire

328 Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire (View Most Recent)

A terrible place to work for non-technical folks

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time

Pros

Despite the title, it is a good place to work if you fit the following profile:

* In product development
    * Can grow your career on your own, without help.
    * You highly value your family or social life, so the flexible low-pressure environment is attractive.
    * Want to have smart people working with you as peers.

Read more about this in other reviews.

Cons

While our CEO in direct interactions treats us with respect, he does not enforce this with his VPs and Directors so company culture and values vary highly from department to department.

We are clearly valued based on our role, which makes sense in some regard. Due to inconsistent values and culture however, this plays out as an extreme here. The lowest paid roles are really valued near zero. Stock may be non-existent. So you may want to consider working as a sales clerk at your nearest mall instead.

Management training has started recently, but they aren't too far so don't expect help from management generally. Providing career growth is still on the backlog is not yet a serious priority for HR. Why does this matter? Because Guidewire generally hasn't invested in career growth, they don't know what they have. So as they need more specialists, they hire them in and layoff the employees that want to grow but haven't had any guidance. Rinse, repeat. As stated before, this varies by department.

Our CEO and VPs are generally not experienced people managers and don't always realize the impact their decisions make on their teams.

This all varies widely by department, product development is a great place to work! I don't know about Sales or Professional Services. If you are both non-technical and non-customer facing though... seriously consider other opportunities.

Consider the environment you would want to work, and then strive to create that for everyone. You may have to pay for a better work environment, but it will pay you back many times over when most your employees can feel good about working here!

Great Company

I have been working at Guidewire full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best companies I've ever worked for in the Bay Area. They know how to treat people hence employees. The vibe at work is a niche.

Cons

Haven't run into any yet. Been here over 5 years.

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire