There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

So happy I came here

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Product Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for less than a year

Pros

When I interviewed, more than one person referenced the company values (Collegiality, Rationality, Integrity) as a great part about working here. I thought it was a strange thing to mention - who actually takes those HR slides seriously? But they really do here. It wasn't a line. Basically, it boils down to be respectful, be honest, and listen to reason over seniority or politics. Surprisingly refreshing and transparent.

I've been here less than a year, and I already feel like an integral part of the team. I've gotten many more responsibilities than at my previous job, and I have a great manager who I trust. On the whole, I feel happy and motivated coming into work every day.

Cons

Working on insurance software is about as unglamorous as you can get, especially in a Silicon Valley world that is more excited about the next iPhone app than anything else. It can be hard to explain what to do, and some of the problems can be very challenging to wrap your head around (workers compensation, anyone)

Benefits are solid, but not amazing. If you like the idea of free perks like laundry service or free everything, this is not the place for you. Guidewire makes no secret of prioritizing their budget.

Some growing pains of a rapidly expanding, recently public company. There is an old guard who has a harder time with it especially. The upside is, of course, that it is successful and growing.

Health insurance could be better.

267 Other Employee Reviews for Guidewire (View Most Recent)

Guidewire is a company with a commitment to sustainable pace and not burning out its employees.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Commitment to sustainable pace. Very smart people. Collaborative and collegial environment. The pattern of work is steady but manageable here. I've never experienced end of release firedrills and insane hours (unlike many other companies where I've worked).

Cons

Depending on the team you're on, you may not be exposed to bleeding edge technologies/languages/frameworks. Java is used extensively, but on many of the application teams you won't be exposed to frameworks such as Angular JS etc.

Continue the commitment to sustainable pace - it's one of the core attributes of Guidewire that sets our company apart and contributes to low attrition rates and high levels of job satisfaction.

Interesting place to work with good work life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Guidewire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employees are open to explore the areas that interest them. The organization structure is more flexible than most enterprise software companies.

Collegial feel. People actually have time to help each other.

Considerable less politics and islands of control than most other companies of the size. Even the most contentious situations work themselves out better here than in other places. There are issues, but less intrusive on one's worklife than in most other companies or can be worked around.

Good work-life balance

I still sometimes wonder about some management decisions, but I know that if I am inclined I am open to question them and the decisions are more rational than at other companies.

Cons

The story about the company culture and organization structure is interesting, but if I just tell people that I work for a company that does software for the insurance industry that generally loses their interest :)

The freedom for an employee to mold one's job and change the company's processes can work both ways. People who are just waiting on what to do next may stagnant or not take advantage of what the company has to offer.

People that join the company looking for status or riches are not going to do well here. People succeed mostly on merits and how well they get along with people around them. There are no real overt status measures and stock grants are not likely to change one's life.

This review is for the dev organization. The professional services feel may be quite different.

There are newer employer reviews for Guidewire

Worked for Guidewire? Contribute to the Community!